Removing Dusty/Musty Odor from Dry Clean Only Jackets

I have a suede coat and a short fake fur jacket. My husband stored them in a large plastic container and unfortunately, they weathered our humid summer in his shop.

Now they have a definite smell, actually more "dusty" than "musty", but I could be wrong. They are not washable. Must I dry clean or can the smell be removed? Thanks.

By Gina from Jackson, MS

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

1. Fabric refresher spray used on the lining

2. Tumble in the dryer with dryer sheets on lowest heat or air settings.

3. Hang outside to air for several days.

4. Hang in a garment bag with with a container of charcoal, coffee grounds or baking soda in the bottom. Leave for several days. Make sure bag is closed

Thank you so much for all the options; as soon as it stops raining, we are going to try airing it out first.

I appreciate your answer. Gina

Just a note, furs should not be stored in any kind of plastic. They need to be stored in breathable materials (such as in a pillowcase).

My dry cleaner used to store my fur during the warm months for a fee of about $25.00. My jacket always came back to me in good shape.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 2, 2010
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
yellow jackets in a house
Getting Rid of Yellow Jackets in Your House
Cleaning Life Jackets
Cleaning Life Jackets
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:18:39 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.