Puppy Eating Dog Mess

How do you get a 10 month old puppy to stop eating dog mess?

Sprinkle some fennel seed on his food. Not sure how it works, but it did for my daughter's dog.

I had a dog that did this when he was a puppy. Our vet, who was a family friend, told me that it was one of two reasons why he did this. 1. He was lacking some vitamin (Idon't remember now which one), or 2. He was a poop eating dog! I laughed because I thought he was joking, but he said that a lot of dogs do this and they will outgrow it around 1 yr. old. So, if you try a lot of different methods that don't work, just remember that he will outgrow it!

There are a couple of good articles on the Drs. Foster & Smith website regarding stool eating.

Why Do Dogs Eat Feces?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=0&aid=748

Stool Eating: How Can I Break My Dog From This Nasty Habit?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=0&aid=77

Hope this is helpful!

Kathy

Sprinkle meat tenderizer on the food. Most vets agree that this is NOT due to a nutritional deficiency. Do a search on coprophagia and dogs. This is usually a behavior developed from living in an unclean environment (even if that environment was some time ago), being punished for eliminating in the house or pure boredom and experimentation. The dog believes that the stool itself is the reason for being punished, not the act of eliminating in the house, so he tries to clean it up to prevent getting punished. Walk the dog on a leash, praise him when he goes, then take him straight into the house. Don't give him the chance to eat any stool. If he makes a mess in the house, shoo him outside and quietly clean it up. Punishing him after the fact won't help with housetraining. Providing him with plenty of appropriate toys and exercise, along with a proper amount of quality food and the training and tenderizer will help him out of this habit.

I used "DISTASTE" from Drs.Foster&Smith.com

Add the tablet to the food and within two weeks there was no more problem. I kept our pup on it for 3 months just to be sure. Great results

Our Westie did that. I got somthing called Deter from a pet store. Works great.

I also used DISTASTE for my lab/huskie mix who was eating out of my litter box--my husband calls them scooby snacks....ewww....

The DISTASTE worked great..no more litterbox snacking.

It just kills me that I had to give my dog something to make poop taste bad.

Is one product better than the other?

My 5 month old puppy WILL NOT stop

eating my other dogs poop- not to

mention her own. I feed them very

nutritious food!

Pets DogsJuly 30, 2004
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Puppy
Puppy is Not Eating
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
🎄