Brush to Clean Smelly Outdoor Trash Can

I have to clean my elderly mom's outdoor trash can. It is smelly and has lots of flies, bees and gnats around it. I will need something like a brush with a long handle on it to clean the inside thoroughly. Do you have a better way?

I have used straight bleach. This will disenfect and kill anything in there. You could buy a brush on a handle that is used for applying tar on a driveway. I think they sell for under $5 at a homecenter.

I think a cheap regular "broom" from the dollar store would work the easiest. I have an old, worn nylon bristled broom in my garage that I use for similar cleaning projects. It usually benefits from being in a soapy bleach solution too it's a win-win solution for me...........the trash can gets cleaned and so does the broom!

It's me again!

Can you haul it to a do-it-yourself carwash? I'm talking about the ones where you get out of your car in the wash bay and spray and rinse the car yourself. You could spray wash the trash can with a lot of force. I've taken many things through those car washes. Baby furniture etc that I loaned out which was returned to me FILTHY! That forceful spray cleans off a lot of gunk!

I'd get a toilet brush (with a holder) from the DollarTree store and use a combination of a little bleach, water, and a little dish soap. Swish it around, let it sit a while, then you can dump the water solution in your toilet or down the kitchen sink (to sanitize also)

Good luck!

Nancy in Florida

add a couple of tablespoons of unbrewed coffee grounds to the garbage cans to remove the odors.

Blue Trash Can
Cleaning Trash Cans
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousJuly 9, 2007
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Wooden hairbrush on a black background.
Cleaning Hairbrushes
Cleaning Hair from a Brush
Removing Hair from Brushes
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet