Watch For Semi-Precious Stones In Jewelry

When most people think of gems they think of diamonds and other precious ones, but there are lovely semi-precious stones that are lovely and very affordable. I even read in an article about a jewelry designer that amethysts (violet) are "undervalued" as a stone. I think the same is true for garnets (dark red), peridots (green), and citrines (yellow). You see these stones and other semi-precious stones more in more in trendy designer jewelry. They are all so much nicer than glass, but still within your budget!

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

I agree, My birthstone is the amethyst, Feb. For years I wanted an amethyst ring, and finally bought myself one for Xmas one year, an amethyst in a sterling silver band, then surprise, my brother and wife sent me another amethyst and silver ring for my birthday. Joy!

I have often thought if I was ever 'lucky; enough to get engaged /married again, I wouldn't want diamonds which have never appealed to me, but those pretty, red, green, blue semi precious stones.

I agree. I have one ring with each color as I like to have a variety. Another way to tell is that glass ones are only glued in, but a semi precious has the facets around the gems. I have had my rings for almost 40 years, and have never lost a set. I find too, that you can pay 75% less for really good jewelry by buying it at thrift shops and summer sales. Estate sales too, if you want to spent a little more.

PBP