Watch For Semi-Precious Stones In Jewelry

When most people think of gems they think of diamonds and other precious ones, but there are lovely semi-precious stones that are lovely and very affordable. I even read in an article about a jewelry designer that amethysts (violet) are "undervalued" as a stone. I think the same is true for garnets (dark red), peridots (green), and citrines (yellow). You see these stones and other semi-precious stones more in more in trendy designer jewelry. They are all so much nicer than glass, but still within your budget!

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

I agree, My birthstone is the amethyst, Feb. For years I wanted an amethyst ring, and finally bought myself one for Xmas one year, an amethyst in a sterling silver band, then surprise, my brother and wife sent me another amethyst and silver ring for my birthday. Joy!

I have often thought if I was ever 'lucky; enough to get engaged /married again, I wouldn't want diamonds which have never appealed to me, but those pretty, red, green, blue semi precious stones.

I agree. I have one ring with each color as I like to have a variety. Another way to tell is that glass ones are only glued in, but a semi precious has the facets around the gems. I have had my rings for almost 40 years, and have never lost a set. I find too, that you can pay 75% less for really good jewelry by buying it at thrift shops and summer sales. Estate sales too, if you want to spent a little more.

PBP

A jewelry box with rings, necklaces and other pieces of jewelry.
Saving Money on Jewelry
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJuly 6, 2010
Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Making Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Homemade Trinket Boxes
Stepping Ston With "Sheri's Garden" on it
Homemade Stepping Stones
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🎉
🎄