What to Do About a Tooth Sensitive to Hot and Cold?

My upper tooth is very painful down the front, it doesn't hurt to chew. It's gotten worse though and really hurts with hot and cold liquids. I'm confused though, as it's the front of the tooth and not the back or the middle. That's not the problem, so it seems.

By Andrew from Derby

Best Answer

There are sensitive teeth toothpastes that will decrease the hot/cold sensitivity, as long as it is not caused by a problem. If you can, ask a dentist.

Best Answer

When I had this problem several years ago, it was because my gums were receding slightly, exposing a very sensitive area at the top of the tooth. I used a toothpaste for sensitive teeth and that helped a lot. Eventually, my dentist put in "gum line fillings", just in the exposed area. I haven't had that problem since. It's been awhile, but as I recall, it wasn't terribly expensive.

Andrew, have you given your dentist's office a call? I had hot sensitivity only once, and it was after I got a filling. I waited a while, thinking it was sensitive because it was a fresh filling. But after about a month I called, and they quickly got me back in and re-did the filling. They said they had others with the same complaint, and they thought maybe they got a bad batch of the filling material. But no matter what the cause, I think your dentist will be able to give you the best advice. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Andrew, if you for some reason can't yet get to a dentist or maybe you haven't been helped by one, try using Orajel Extra Strength tooth gel. I've used it and after a bit of regular use my sensitivity disappeared. Good luck.

I have sensitive teeth. My dentist gives me what seems like an ultraviolet treatment with this little hand held gizmo. It works like a charm and will last 2 or 3 years. No charge.

Time to go to the dentist!

About twenty years ago, I had a lower jaw tooth or teeth that became very sensitive to cold weather, cold food, candy, etc. The dentist told me to use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Only had to use it for a week or two and my teeth were no longer sensitive.

Take a pencil and tap on your tooth. Tap on the surrounding teeth. If any one of them hurt when tapped, you could have an abcess and it would be time for a dental visit. If not, try the toothpaste for sensitive teeth and be very gentle with the tooth, no extra pressure from chewing or grinding and the tooth may calm down. Teeth can be bruised the same way the rest of our body can be bruised.

Act mouthwash. It's the pink stuff for kids. It's cheap and has flouride. My friend works for a pediatric dentist and suggested it to me recently, I am having the same problem. I started rinsing and my teeth are no longer sensitive! Grinding your teeth also causes the problem.

A woman with sensitive teeth.
Remedies for Sensitive Teeth
Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 15, 2011
Man with a sore mouth.
Caring for Your Gums After a Tooth Extraction
Girl Holding her Lost Tooth
Tooth Fairy Ideas
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
🎄