Use 2 Liter Bottles for Watering Your Garden

It is always so hot here in the summer and I like to have flowers and vegetables on my deck and in the yard, but can't afford the water bills to keep them watered between times of rain.

So I cut the end off the bottom of a 2-liter plastic bottle, turn the bottle up-side down so the neck (without the lid) is in the ground next to the plant. Pour water in the wide part of the open bottle and it will keep the plants moist through the day and I don't waste water from the hose.

I also put a stick through the holes into the dirt so the wind doesn't blow the bottle over. This works great. You can add your fertilizer to the water and water and feed plants at the same time. I have several in my garden.

I hope this idea helps others.

By Sharon from Van Buren, Arkansas

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Drill hole in the end cap of a pop bottle.Fill with water,good for house plants. Works a treat.Good Luck!

Now why couldn't you ladies have posted that BEFORE so much damage to my plants while on vacation? I'll do this next time.

When I had a summer cottage, I would water all my plants, before leaving on Sunday evening. Then, for each of the planters, I would would fill up the 2L containers, and turn it over (quickly-so as not to loose the water) into the planter or right into the flower bed.

It then acts like a wick, taking only as much water as it needs, and collapsing the bottle in the process. When I got back on Friday after work, I could just survey which bottles were the most collapsed, and water them first. Never lost a plant.

Should have patened it,,because they are now selling a pretty glass variety of the same idea.

If you cut the bottom of the bottle off (which is now the top, since it is inverted) and leave it uncovered, it is a great place for mosquitos to lay their eggs and increase their population. Don't let your backyard be a disease haven, remove all containers that will hold still water for more than 2-3 days (tires, recycling, garbage cans, buckets, etc.)

Rainwater is great for plants yes, but cover these containers after the rain please! Just say "no" to West Nile, etc.

Comment

Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsFebruary 18, 2009
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Watering a gardening with drip irrigation.
Watering Your Garden
Water Bottle
Using Recycled Buckets and Bottles for Irrigation
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 12:12:35 PM on 10.0.0.72 in 525 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.