Grow Your Holiday Poinsettias Year Round

Last year I found some fantastic month by month tips on keeping a poinsettia alive and coaxing it to bloom again year after year. I followed them to the letter and my poinsettia was doing beautifully. I was looking forward to it being bigger and prettier this year.

But in late September all of a sudden it dropped all the new leaves and brackets it had grown and withered and died. I can't figure out why. Can anybody help me so I can try again this year?

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I saved a poinsettia from last year after reading a tip to just pour your left over coffee in each day. It has worked beautifully! That is really all I did other than cut it back after last Christmas and it has done great. I have never been able to keep them alive before.

gr8dnm, this is great except I don't drink coffee except rarely and when I do I put cream and sugar in it. I've got no problem with making some for the plants tho. How many cups should I give it every day?

I'm bound and determined to find a way to keep them from year to year!

I just was given a white poinsettia left over from the church Xmas decorations. Don't throw away those poinsettias after the holidays! Over the years, I have rescued several of them from offices and elsewhere. They are viable plants that will eventually provide nice greenery as a potted plant. Or if you live in a mild enough climate, you can replant them outdoors. They are native to Mexico I understand, and were a holy plant to the Aztecs. So they do well in Southern California, with a similar climate.

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

Answers:

Warning: They are also poisonous, so don't grow around children or pets! God bless and protect you. : ) (01/25/2008)

By Lynda

Poinsettias are "not" poisonous, that is just a rumor. Here are 2 websites for you to displace the poison myth:

wikipedia.org

snopes.com (09/25/2008)

By Darlene