Grow Your Holiday Poinsettias Year Round

Last year I found some fantastic month by month tips on keeping a poinsettia alive and coaxing it to bloom again year after year. I followed them to the letter and my poinsettia was doing beautifully. I was looking forward to it being bigger and prettier this year.

But in late September all of a sudden it dropped all the new leaves and brackets it had grown and withered and died. I can't figure out why. Can anybody help me so I can try again this year?

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I saved a poinsettia from last year after reading a tip to just pour your left over coffee in each day. It has worked beautifully! That is really all I did other than cut it back after last Christmas and it has done great. I have never been able to keep them alive before.

gr8dnm, this is great except I don't drink coffee except rarely and when I do I put cream and sugar in it. I've got no problem with making some for the plants tho. How many cups should I give it every day?

I'm bound and determined to find a way to keep them from year to year!

November 18, 2010 Flag

I just was given a white poinsettia left over from the church Xmas decorations. Don't throw away those poinsettias after the holidays! Over the years, I have rescued several of them from offices and elsewhere. They are viable plants that will eventually provide nice greenery as a potted plant. Or if you live in a mild enough climate, you can replant them outdoors. They are native to Mexico I understand, and were a holy plant to the Aztecs. So they do well in Southern California, with a similar climate.

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

Answers:

Warning: They are also poisonous, so don't grow around children or pets! God bless and protect you. : ) (01/25/2008)

By Lynda

Poinsettias are "not" poisonous, that is just a rumor. Here are 2 websites for you to displace the poison myth:

wikipedia.org

snopes.com (09/25/2008)

By Darlene

Growing Poinsettia
Growing Poinsettia
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations IndoorNovember 18, 2010
White Folder Comforter
Cleaning Comforters
Poinsettias
Selecting and Caring for Poinsettias
dyed pastel poinsettias with glitter
Making Glittered Poinsettias
Ceiling Fan
Using Ceiling Fans Year Round
🎄