Use Vegetable Shortening for Very Dry Skin

By Mina Parlin 3 2

If you suffer from dry skin, or just want a good moisturizer, try Crisco. I know it sounds gross, but it really works well, is cheap and sinks in. The only problem I have found is that my dogs follow me trying to lick it off. ;)

Source: My doctor told me about this tip.

By Mina from Bonaire, GA

Showing: Comments Sort

By Judi 18 938 Flag

Don't you have to worry about grease on your clothes?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Grease in your clothing is a downside to this trick. My father-in-law was told to do this by his doctor. I wish his doctor had to do Pop's laundry! The grease would NOT come out, no matter what I did. There was just too much of it. And after a few months, his clothing began to smell rancid. UGH!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

I use coconut oil, then wipe as much off as possible before going to bed. Wear cotton gloves!

This is for the middle of the winter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Crisco was once known as "Miracle C" and studied by Universities for it's skin healing properties.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Just use petroleum jelly, it helps, I swear!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By metroplex 82 416 Flag

My sister has a friend that has used crisco to take off her makeup plus her eye make up for years and years. She uses a wash cloth to remove it, but I understand that the makeup hardly budges from the wash cloth when you wash it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I do this in the winter. My skin gets especially dry then. After I get out of the shower, I smooth it on lightly. It usually is absorded and not a problem with being oily. Works great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I started using vegetable shortening 10 years and the trick to using it without messing your clothes is to use a small amount and rubbing it in your hands until its warm and rubbing it over the trouble area.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I learned in medical school that at Duke University they recommended vegetable shortening for dry skin. I need to try it myself.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care Dry SkinApril 2, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
An apricot cut in half.
Peeling Apricots
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
A woman rubbing her skin.
Caring for Aging Skin
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:11:55 PM on 10.0.2.142 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings