Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Use Vegetable Shortening for Very Dry Skin

If you suffer from dry skin, or just want a good moisturizer, try Crisco. I know it sounds gross, but it really works well, is cheap and sinks in. The only problem I have found is that my dogs follow me trying to lick it off. ;)

Source: My doctor told me about this tip.

By Mina from Bonaire, GA

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Darlene M.D. (Guest Post)01/12/2009

I learned in medical school that at Duke University they recommended vegetable shortening for dry skin. I need to try it myself.

By Marsha Yon (Guest Post)12/07/2008

I started using vegetable shortening 10 years and the trick to using it without messing your clothes is to use a small amount and rubbing it in your hands until its warm and rubbing it over the trouble area.

By Artlady (Guest Post)06/16/2008

I do this in the winter. My skin gets especially dry then. After I get out of the shower, I smooth it on lightly. It usually is absorded and not a problem with being oily. Works great!

By metroplex [81]04/29/2008

My sister has a friend that has used crisco to take off her makeup plus her eye make up for years and years. She uses a wash cloth to remove it, but I understand that the makeup hardly budges from the wash cloth when you wash it.

By princess (Guest Post)04/20/2008

Just use petroleum jelly, it helps, I swear!

By Cajun (Guest Post)04/11/2008

Crisco was once known as "Miracle C" and studied by Universities for it's skin healing properties.

By Holly [350]04/08/2008

I use coconut oil, then wipe as much off as possible before going to bed. Wear cotton gloves!
This is for the middle of the winter.

By (Guest Post)04/02/2008

Grease in your clothing is a downside to this trick. My father-in-law was told to do this by his doctor. I wish his doctor had to do Pop's laundry! The grease would NOT come out, no matter what I did. There was just too much of it. And after a few months, his clothing began to smell rancid. UGH!

By Judi [17]04/02/2008

Don't you have to worry about grease on your clothes?

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.