Make Your Own Blackout Curtains

By ShooShine 1

Instead of paying $50 and up for blackout curtains, just go through old clothes and find opaque large skirts, t-shirts, or button-up shirts and sew them all together to fit your window. It helps if you have a sewing machine, but it can still be done by hand.

Street side of homemade curtains.

I actually went to Goodwill and bought a king-size sheet that is folded on one end, which leaves a small flap of sewn fabric to put the curtain rod through. I cut the sheet in half, vertically and then I sewed all my husband's old XXL dark blue and black t-shirts and extra fabric to the other side.

Mine could have turned out better, but I was in a rush and wanted the curtains that night so I could finally get some sleep. A bonus is that they were almost free, and they also insulate my room in the summer and winter. In the summer, it keeps the hot rays of the sun out and in the winter it keeps the cold draft out.

The picture shows the other side of the curtains with the sewn shirts on it. If you have time, you can buy two sheets so you can have a decorative curtain on both sides, so that the opposite side of the curtains looks better than sewn-together shirts.

By shooshine from Los Angeles, CA

Showing: Comments Sort

By weinerdog41 34 189 Flag

Great idea for someone who sleeps during the day. I just may use this idea. Thanks

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kat 7 219 Flag

I had a friend who worked nights, he went and bought 2 navy blue polar fleece blankets, sewed a rod casing across one of the short ends of each, and hung them up. Perfect, and easy care. Added bonus-the fabric was so thick it insulated his room-cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

a dark bedroom
Making Blackout Window Curtains
Next
Crafts Home DecorApril 25, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
a dark bedroom
Making Blackout Window Curtains
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:16:09 PM on 10.0.2.193 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings