Freezing Bagels

Can I freeze bread, bagels, etc? If yes, for how long?

Thank You,
Laura from Hemet, CA

Best Answer

Hi, if I remember correctly when freezing breads they stay fine for about 3 months. Though to make sure they still taste nice you should wrap each one in foil. If not then you should double bag them.

I double bag bagels and on Italian bread or French bread I wrap in foil first then bag them. It works great.

Best Answer

I freeze mine in a paper grocery bag, and tape it shut. Have frozen it for up to two months, sometimes. Bagels the same. I've found that it works better to thaw them in the fridge, otherwise they sometimes get soggy if the weather is warm.

Jean from MI

Best Answer

I freeze bagels (I split them first) in freezer ziplock bags. I have kept them for at least 6 months. When I want one, I put it in my toaster oven, toast it or put toaster on "light" and half way through turn off toaster oven and let it sit for a minute or two and it is thawed. I can't get good bagels where I live, so I have to stock up when I go visit my children.

Best Answer

We freeze our bagels (and many other foods) using a "Reynolds Handi-Vac". This little machine vacuum seals the bagels in a plastic bag and sucks out the air thus preventing freezer burn and spoilage for months. Take them out, thaw them and they are as fresh as the day you froze them.The Handi-Vac runs about $18.00 and is small enough to fit in your hand.

We use it for meats, etc. also.

Yes you can freeze the bread and bagels. I have kept them in the freeze for 2 mos. and they were fine.

I think you can freeze for up to 6 months or a year. May have a slightly odder taste or texture but will be fine to eat.

I freeze both of these in their original bags, nothing else. I freeze the end of the loaf of bread when it starts to get stale and then use it for toast on the weekends and buy fresh bread for sandwiches. I freeze bagels just because I only want one once in a while and that way they don't get moldy. However, I found some that I forgot about and now they taste like freezer. I'm pretty sure they've been in there over a year, so a year is too long, but I don't know the maximum time that will work. I've never had a problem with the bread.

Hi there, I go to the bread thrift store about half-an-hour away from where I live, so I make my trip well worth while...I buy many loaves of bread (it's Woner Bread) and have frozen the bread,twinkies,bagels,donuts, and buns as well as rolls...when I thaw them out..this is the only kind that is so soft as if you had just bought it that day!!! My DH is very picky about having fresh bread...and this always fools him...hope this helps....

I have a long drive to the supermarket.I buy bread, etc. to freeze. I have ate breads that have been frozen up to two months. Just take out of freezer 30 mins pior to using. Hope this helps.

I read (maybe on this site) that when thawing frozen bread, place it on a rack - like a rack for cooling cookies - so the bottom of the loaf doesn't get soggy. It works better this way for me.