Garage Door Not Opening With Remote Control or Mounted Button

By David 2

"First, be sure you do have power to the garage door opener. If so, this problem is probably a bad printed circuit board inside the main power head. Circuit boards are very easy parts to replace. The entire list of circuit boards available for the Genie openers is found on our site here:" (site no longer exists)

The above description generally describes the problem I am having with my garage door opener. However, I realized that if I unplug the opener power cord and replug it to the power outlet in the ceiling, the opener would respond again. But it would fail again later on, i.e a few days later. Any clue for the real issue? If indeed it is the circuit board at fault, how do I replace or trouble shoot the circuit board? I don't have owner's manual, but I believe it is Sears.

hq4000

Showing: Answers Sort

By kidsNclutter 188 Flag

Could have something to do w/ the opener losing the "code" to make it work. No longer having the correct code to correspond from the remote to the actual opener unit. Can be reset. But if the button hard-wired to the wall doesn't operate the unit either, then I guess this wouldn't be your problem. Might help someone else, though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Is the problem happening from the wall unit or just the remote control? I have a Sears garage door opener and my remote was not working. The little antenna wire that hangs down was very dusty so I wiped it off, then got up on a ladder and reset the code on the remote. It's easy, just a push of a button on the back of the unit. I went to the website and there was a troubleshooting page and this helped me out and saved me money as I had already begun to shop for a new opener!. Not sure if this is your problem, but maybe it'll help! Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I sorta have the same problem , only my garage door wont go down using the remote. but will with the switch wired on the wall inside the garage. Any sugestions out there for me. Other than calling a garage door repair man.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have a sears. will not open with either opener. You can hear a click and the light will go on. In addition. It appears that the lights on the safety senors are not on nor will they come on with ajustment

Curran46 @ aol.com (remove spaces)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

HAVE LITTLE RANGE FOR OPENER REMOTES. WOULD ALUMINUM SIDING AFFECT RECEPTION? IF SO WHAT TRICKS CAN BE USED? THANKS

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

How can I fix this problem. Green light blinks on remote and sound coming from the unit, but will not open or close the door.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

my remotes and garage button will not operate the door. There is a green light on the remotes and a sound coming from the opener. This sound is like a click zberocc @ wowway .com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

if you have a "magic eye" the door wont close if anything is in its way. ttok me a couple of weeks to figure this out. I could shut/open the door manually but the remote would not work because something was blockng the reader thing. Its a safety device incase anybody gets stuck as the door is going down

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Angela Hunter 4 8 Flag

My problem was my belt was slipping and i had no idea.So now whether i use my remote or the button I have to get a stick and hit the belt and off or rather up she goes.Does the same thing with the down option.Have been living with this for a while.Will get new replacement when I have no other choice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My door open and stops like it gets hung up it is belt driven.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hi,

I just replaced the gear and sprocket assembly on my Sears 1/2 hp opener. Installation was easy, but when I hooked up the unit to the door, the motor would only move the door a few inches before reversing, as if the electric eye or safety reverse was working. I adjusted the travel screws and safety reverse, with no effect.

I then repeated the installation. When I tested the unit on my bench, the same thing happened--the motor reversed itself after just a few seconds.

Did I miss something in the installation?

Thanks,

John

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have a Genie 1/2 HP garage door opener. The wall mounted switch does not work. All transmitters will open and close. Checked the wires from wall mount to motor for breaks nothing found. Purchased a swith (thought old one was bad), no change. How can I determine what part needs to be replaced with out draining my wallet one part at a time

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jules Goss 1 Flag

I have the same problem as posted by John Abbott i.e. the motor would only move the door a few inches before reversing, as if the electric eye or safety reverse was working. Tried increasing the downward force, howver, no improvement. Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

Jules

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My son placed a metal object next to one of the sensors and all of a sudden the door won't even close. I now have no power coming from wall mount or remoteless pad. I unplugged the opener to check if it will reset itself but still nothing. What do you recommend? All wires stll in place no disconnections.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Garage Door
Garage Door Not Opening Properly
Previous
Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairApril 18, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Universal Remote
Programming a Universal Remote
Garage Door
Garage Door Not Opening Properly
Garage Door Remote Opener
Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working
Remote Control on White Background
Cleaning a Remote Control
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 12:19:52 AM on 10.0.0.254 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings