Terra Cotta Floor with Dark Green Countertop

I was shown a very dark green, almost black countertop but I am unsure about it. My floor has terracotta type tiles and it was painted sort of a rust color. I've asked the contractor to bring me some ideas for the backsplash to see what he thinks could bring that color countertop and the tiles together. My cabinets are sort of a cognac or chestnut color.

Does anyone think that a dark green granite countertop sounds strange in a kitchen with the colors I've described? I realize that I shouldn't look at the colors like I'm matching an outfit and I've always matched things, sometimes to the point of boredom. I need some opinions. Thanks so much.

kimble67 from Jersey City, NJ

One thing to be careful of is that you don't pick a trendy color because styles change and you are stuck with it. Time passes quickly. You can have trouble selling a house with strange colors. I've had this problem when we put in a blue bath tub and way back in the 70's rust and green shag carpet. Also, i think the dark counter top might show finger prints and grease marks.

I thought that dark green color was 'in' in the '80's. I saw it mentioned in an article about "How To De-'80's Your House." Me, I'm thinking about a gray or cream or granite along those lines. There is a spray paint that does granite look-alike and I like it, even though of course I'm not fooled. God Bless you!

No, I don't think the combination sounds odd at all. Look at modern decorating magazines or if you have them in your area, a home show where you get to tour new high-end houses that builders are competing for awards for. I am sure you will see those colors.

I love the colors you described! I feel that the colors in your home are as important as your clothes! A blacksplash in brick would look good too!

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm going to take a pic of my kitchen (once I can figure out how this digital camera works) just so you can really see what I'm talking about. Stay tuned.

As long as the colors make you happy when you are the one to see them all the time. Pleasant is another feeling I go by when choosing colors. Nothing with conflict.

To T&T Grandma: Yeah, that's the thing, That's good advice also, "Pleasant" that is something I'll consider - I really like the colors but not sure that I want to commit to them ONLY because my husband and I would like to sell the house in a few years, so although the beige's and tan's for countertops tend to be more common, I might just go that route. We'll see.

Kitchen Countertop
Kitchen Countertop Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Room Color SchemesFebruary 10, 2009
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Terra Cotta Pots
Cleaning Terra Cotta Pots
terra cotta flower pot person
Crafts Using Terra Cotta Flower Pots
Terra Cotta Pots
Saving Money on Terra Cotta Pots
🎄