Repairing Scratched DVDs

How do you repair scratched dvds?

michelled615 from Lebanon, TN

You can buy a machine at walmart that repairs scratched dvds and cds, I think it's around 20 bucks? It fixes 50 I think. However, if it's just one dvd and it's not a deep scratch, try clear deodorant first. Any brand will do, just as long as it's the clear gel kind. Apply it enough to where you can smear it all around with your fingers, make sure you cover the entire dvd. Then wipe it off with a soft cloth, don't leave any goo behind, it should feel normal to the touch. The gel gets in the little scratches and fills them enough for the player to not get stuck on them. I've never tried this on a dvd player before, but I've revived many a cd with the method. It doesn't damage the player, and it's not a permanent fix, you have to reapply the deodorant after a while, a few months or so, depending on the use of the dvd.

Hope that helps!

All the used music stores in my area will buff CDs. Some do it for a small fee, one does it for free. Call some music stores in your area to see who offers CD repair.

Scratched CD's and DVD's may be fixed by using Auto Polish-Wax.

Clean the CD or DVD with a damp soft cloth.

Now use a CLEAN, SOFT cloth for the following (CLEAN!)

Grit will destroy your CD's and DVD's...!

Apply small drop of Car Wax (I use Turtle Wax) and buff outward from center to edge! NOT CIRCULARLY! NEVER!

Rub wax in by rubbing center to edge and back.

Apply a drop of wax for each approx 1 inch section.

Do this all around the DVD or CD - rub HARD.

Let dry and buff off with very soft rag. Works for all but really deep scratches. Deep scratches may need Car POLISH for using on scratched car paint, then finish up with the car WAX.

Works for me!

Good Morning America had a tip the other day about that...use a soft clean cloth sprayed lightly with a spray furniture product (Pledge type) and working from the center out to the edges, very gently buff the cd/dvd.

Toothepaste works really well. Rub it in a circular motion and rinse with warm water and dry with a soft towel. It doesn't always work but has gotten me thru a lot of movie rentals.

I haven't tried this myself but I read a tip somewhere that said to use toothpaste(not gel). Rub with a soft cloth and then buff with a clean cloth.

First I wash it with dishwashing liquid-that fixes fingerprints and many other smudgss. Never use solvents that dissolve plastic!

I have used brass polish to repair scratches. Toothpaste is too harsh. Do not polish in a circular motion! polish radially ie stroke from the center out - this is because scratches in the perpendicular direction confuse the reader. Also, a light rubbing with vaseline will smooth it enough to be read. Will try pledge -the wax would act the same way vaseline does.

Even with this, deep scratches or cracks can't be fixed.

If the scratches are fine, sometimes freezing the DVD will cause the scratch to shrink. I know it works for games

I have many times washed them in dish liquid with warm water. Dry off well with a clean cloth. Let it air out for a few minutes to be sure there is no dampness to hurt your machine, or zap you to the floor. In many cases it makes the difference in watching the DVD or not.

I have used Windex window cleaner before and this seems to help. Apply this on the scratched CD and use a clean soft cloth and wipe circular.

The Walmart in my area no longer carries the repair kits (described above). I got one on ebay.

Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousOctober 27, 2007
Storing CDs
Storing CDs and DVDs
A pile of DVD cases.
Organizing DVDs
Eyeglasses That Need Repair
Repairing Scratched Eyeglasses