Hair Has No Body After Coloring

I have been coloring my hair since I started getting gray. For about a week or two after coloring, my hair seems to have no body, is way too soft, and won't hold a style or even hold a rubber band for a pony tail. I don't like this flippy-floppy texture when my hair is thick with a nice wave without hair coloring.

My hair is not really damaged, very few split ends. It's that way after coloring whether I use a conditioner or not, whether I color it myself or have it professionally done. Styling products like gels and sprays have little effect during this newly-colored time. Any ideas?

Mary from Denver, CO

I have the same problem when I color my hair but asked the beautician what would help it. He said to add a little baking soda to my shampoo to clean out all the impurities in my hair (medications, gels, hairsprays, etc.) and it would look normal again. I have tried this and it works...I use about 2 tablespoons of baking soda and rub it in the palm of my hand with the shampoo before putting it on my hair. Do not shampoo again after this, just condition (lightly) and it should be ok again. Use it more frequently if it doesn't look right to you - it will not remove the dye. I use this about once a week and shampoo normally the rest of the week. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, as I have the same problem too.

I will try that mixture also.

Mary Bachert

mary @ niftysoyscents.com (remove spaces)

Hi Mary,

I sympathize - I have similar hair. My hairdresser said it has too much 'slip', meaning that it's literally too slippery, almost too silky. No kind of clip or even electric curlers will stay in my hair. Also I have problems keeping curled around a hot air brush or curling iron.

Added to this, however, is that my hair is bone straight.

Not the nice kind of straight, but the straight and frizziness.

If you ever come up with a solution, I'd love to know about it.

Good luck from Smoochie

:(

Hi, this comment is for "Smoochie" who posted here & said her hair also has no body after coloring. Another person posting here said to use a little baking soda when you shampoo after coloring. I tried it and it does work. Hair is still a little slick after coloring but not as bad with the baking soda. Also going "blonde," with highlights--a lot or a little--will give your hair more body and staying power than just about anything. Watch out, too much fake blonde is damaging to your hair. If it weren't for this pesky gray, I would not bother with ANY hair coloring! I liked my formerly dark brown hair!

Hi, I am 64 and gave up doing anything to may hair during a time I didn't work, 14 years ago. I shampoo only, just as plain as I can find. I have a nice streak of grey/silver and my hair has shine and gloss and I twist it when it's damp, and it dries in lovely waves. I had done it all, and the last product said it would make my hair glossy and it fried it and turned it orange brown and that was it for me. Sometimes I just "wash" it with a baking soda in water solution, about 2 Tablespoons to a large glass and rinse well after massaging it in. If you do do things to your hair, that might not be a great idea because some products work based on ph.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringMarch 7, 2006
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
Girl with permed hair.
Coloring Permed Hair
🎉
🎄