Inexpensive or Free Building Materials

The Boss is preparing to ship a 40 ft. container to W. Africa; I'm looking for a cheap (or, free) source for gently used metal windows, doors, building materials, (which are next-to-impossible to find in his country) to add to the shipment. Any guidance, suggestions? Thanks, in advance.

By vbartvbart from Orlando, FL

Best Answer

Habitat for Humanity has a location in Orlando, as they do in many, many cities. They have a "store" called the "ReStore". It is located at this address:

2105 N. Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32804

phone number 407-426-7192

They will probably have what you need. Although they do not "give it away" for free. The prices are amazingly low. The items they have for sale have been donated by businesses and individuals. Some items are new, some are good used recyclable items. The income that is generated by these sales helps pay for materials to build the next "Habitat House". It is a wonderful program...a "Hand UP" not a "Hand Out"!

Please "Google" Habitat for Humanity and read about all the good things they have done and continue to do. My husband and I volunteer with "Habitat" here in our community and find it extremely rewarding. I would encourage others to do the same.

I hope you find what you need. Call and talk to the folks in the office. Maybe they can work with you. Best of Luck

Best Answer

If you belong to Freecycle or Cheapcycle, try posting a "wanted." Be prepared to pick up, though. Call or visit your local thrift stores, or if your town has a building-materials salvage shop, try there.

Best Answer

Start with the Southern Waste Information eXchange, Inc. website

or some of the links on their site. I frequent a sister site in Minnesota and have found it useful for projects such as yours. I think this is just what you are looking for as it deals with larger quantities of materials and supplies than I usually see listed on Freecycle or Cheapcycle. Good luck.

I am rodelingy ho.e need building materials to do inside an outside of home looking for free or cheep supplys

Best Answer

Oops, I forgot to mention to look in particular to the waste eXchange portion of the website.

good luck

I was going to suggest Habitat for Humanity, too! I'm not remodeling, but I stopped by their store in Norman, OK and was impressed. There were nice old wood doors, I remember nice stainless steel sinks, and lots and lots of stuff. Best of luck!

If you have a company near you that sells windows and doors, there is probably a dumpster out back that is filled with the old windows they removed from a job. I know there's one right down the road from me. If you ask they may even give them to you so you don't have to dumpster dive. Sandy

Hi, I may have 60 nice solid slab doors if you are still seeking.

Doug.vaught AT

Pile of wood, screws, nails, and a saw
Finding Free Building Materials
Consumer Advice Product FinderSeptember 13, 2009
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
A girl working on a math.
Free Educational Materials