Save the Earth, One Paper Towel at a Time!

You can save money and reduce waste by using hand towels and washcloths in your kitchen. I use the hand towels to dry my hands from numerous washings during meal prep and etc., when damp simply change it out with a new one. I use the washcloths for wiping off the counters or table, with water or with sanitizer. Washcloths also work great to wipe off appliances, and can easily replace the bacteria-growing sponge. I also keep small washcloths to wipe off my baby's face after a meal.

I keep the basket on top of my fridge, I roll the hand towels and fold the washcloths so I can feel for what I need. This saves space on my counters, and keeps them clean and dry.

Simply wash the towels, using the renewable resource: water. Paper towels not only use up trees to be produced, but bleach too; which can affect the water supply around the factory. "If everyone does a little, we can all do alot"

By Starchild from Lamoille County, Vermont

Instead of Paper Towels

I have been using towelling hand-towels in the kitchen for some time now, mainly because they are so hardy and you can launder them over and over. I had never thought of using washcloths instead of paper towels, although I will do so in the future.

We've been doing this for ages...SO much cheaper, too! The only thing we use paper towels for is to do bathroom cleaning around the toilet.

We also bought some muslin VERY cheap a few years ago and made cloth napkins. They're easy to launder and quick to fold. We haven't bought paper napkins since!!

It really is easy to make these small changes. We all truly can make a difference. :)

I keep a small waste basket under sink with cut up old pieces of clothing, towels etc about paper towel size and really cram them in sure saves

I have used torn towels and washcloths like this for years! If they are ripped I cut them into a smaller towels. For small spills. Larger one become hand towels in the kitchen or camping. Plus I have a couple accidental bleached towels as well. At my old house I had a pillow case of ripped sheets (children and dogs are the blame!) with a drawstring close hanging on the back of the basement door. My new home I had a big drawer with the towels in. My ripped sheets became curtains or covers for the couch.

I like to use Lysol 4 in 1 on everything in my kitchen. But hated using those darn sponges to clean. I tried the trick about putting them in microwave for a few seconds to kill germs but ended up burning a hole in it! Boy was that smell hard to get rid of. So the next time I went to the Dollar store I found a pack of blue reusable cloths. I cut them in half and placed them in a recycled baby wipe container(yes still use them..even though baby is now 3). I poured straight 4 in 1 onto the cloths. Now I just pull out one a wipe down entire kitchen. Its full strength so its a full disenfectant. Once I'm done, I toss in laundry basket and wash with the towels. Once cleaned and dried I add back to baby wipe container. I think in the last 3 months I've had to add 4 in 1 twice. It works great and disenfects the best!

Better Living Green Living ConservationApril 17, 2007
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Ribbon stored on a paper towel holder
Uses for Paper Towel Holders
Towel Holder
Making a Kitchen Towel Holder