Ranges & OvensAppliances

Calibrating an Oven Thermostat

We recently bought a condo in Florida with a gas stove. (At home in New York I have an electric stove). It is a conventional natural gas stove (not propane). I recently bought an oven thermometer to check the temperatures. Much to my chagrin when I put the temp dial on 350 degrees the thermometer only registered 250! If I want the oven at 350 (for baking) I have to put the temperature dial at 450. Who can I call to get my stove adjusted?

By Nina W.

My first thought is how do you know the oven thermometer that you bought is correct. Maybe the oven thermometer is correct and the thermometer you bought is incorrect. Maybe the gas company could send over a technican to check the oven temperatures.

Anonymous

You can try calibrating it yourself first instead of automatically calling a repair person. I've calibrated ovens a couple of times and it's really easy; just takes a little time and patience. I run the oven for about a half hour between adjustment settings/testings. One time it took a couple of hours but was able to finally get that old oven within 5 degrees ;-) If after you try and can't get it close then you'll probably need the part mentioned in the link here.

http://www.ehow  thermostats.html