Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cloth Training Pants

I am trying to make training pants for my son. I was thinking of using my old gerber cloth diapers for absorption and I am not sure what to use for a cover. Also I want to make sure the 'pattern' is correct. So if anyone has experience or and ideas about making cloth training pants I would greatly appreciate you sharing it with me. Thanks!

Jennifer

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Alidasmommy (Guest Post)02/02/2009

If you really wanted to, you could just use your prefolds with a fleece prefold belt. They sell them at the EC Store, or it is simple enough just to make your own. If you aren't comfortable letting them run around without a cover just yet, throw on a pair of plastic pants and you're good to go. theecstore.com

By Cathy (Guest Post)03/05/2008

I made training pants for my daughter using the Easter Bunz training pants pattern you can get free online (you just print it out). I used thrift store flannel sheets for the inner layers and Pro Care from Wazoodle for the waterproof layer. You can also make an outer layer of a fun print. These are finished with fold over elastic I bought on e-bay. These are working well for me. I would suggest making 1 pair only at first to make sure the pattern sizing is right and adjust using the a photocopier as needed.

By jennifer (Guest Post)03/21/2006

I made cloth training pants for my son using a pattern I acquired on line (for free) from an on-line diaper site (Grace's Tips, or something like that). I altered it some so as to make it less bulky, as well as a pull on variety. The end result works quite well:) I made a soaker pad from terry cloth and flannel, which I sewed inbetween the two layers. The outer layer I made from fleece. Use the good stuff, not sweatshirt fleece-- I found out the hard way that that doesn't word well containing moisture!

By jennifer (Guest Post)03/21/2006

I made cloth training pants for my son using a pattern I acquired on line (for free) from an on-line diaper site (Grace's Tips, or something like that). I altered it some so as to make it less bulky, as well as a pull on variety. The end result works quite well:)

By Margaret (Guest Post)11/05/2005

I used soakers, or as some call them, cotton waffle knit training pants with rubber pants over top. It's the best way!

By Judith Muelling07/16/2005

Why not use flannel? It is a great "soaker" and washes just as easily as the rest of the pants.

By Mary Ann (Guest Post)06/21/2005

this is a link for cloth diapers, not training pants.
www.geocities.com/myfreediaperpattern

By Lee06/21/2005

I would think so, I usually do that for a lot of my DIY projects. I would maybe add a inch for turn over around all the edges. Give it a whirl.. Just don't buy something pricey for a trial thing. In fact, go to your local thrift store and buy one from them which usually cost 25 cents or less. Nothing new not worth it.

By jennifer c06/18/2005

There are LOTS of sites that have patterns and info on sewing your own cloth diapers and traingin pants! Here are a few links:

http://www.newconceptions.com/tp/trainingpants.htm

http://www.newconceptions.com/sdb/bedwetterpants.htm

http://www.diapersewing.com/

http://www.thediaperhyena.com/reap.htm

There are also several yahoogroup e-mail lists about sewing your own diapers.

By Allison Dey [4]06/17/2005

The point of training pants is to feel wet and uncomfortable and I didn't put anything over my kids' training pants except their regular clothing. At night the first week I still used diapers until they had dry nights. Then I used plastic pants at first over training pants at night and then just training pants but with a waterproof pad under the regular sheet.

It only takes about a week to potty train if the kid is ready. Even if they pee through the training pants and their pants during the day, you just have to remind them it's not a diaper and change their clothing. The real trick is to take them to the potty every half hour to let them try. The success of going to the potty and then staying dry for that half hour and then that happening repeatedly makes them want to be successful because they love the praise.

By kidsNclutter06/16/2005

Could you take apart a purchased pair of training underwear or a regular pair of underwear & use that as a pattern?