Growing Apricots And Peaches From Pits

I read your note on growing cherries from the pit. I am trying to start other fruit.
Do the seeds of apricots and peaches requiring the same method, I have done everything except refrigerate the seeds and so far nothing. Thanks

. I've been told. Starting fruit from seeds it's possible but not practical.

Fruit will not come through from seed.

I have started avocados and peaches from seed, in CA what I have done is Mark out an area (so I don't plant something else there) where I want the tree to grow and I just put a whole bunch of seeds their, if I get more than 1 I pot up the rest.

I have 1 Avocado tree it is 5 years' old, the 3rd year I got 5 avocados and they were delicious, last year I had nothing this year there is 1, the 2nd Avocado is 3 years old, it did bloom no avocados, the peach tree is about 8 years old peaches are lousy 3 years ago I cut it down to about 6 in. then my friends decided they love smoothies so I let it grow and there are peaches on it right now,

Theres no way to predict how the fruit will be.

It is better just to take a whole lot of cuttings and stick them in a pot and hope something takes...

You may end up with something absolutely delicious from seed you never know.

When you eat a peach apricot plum apple etc....just bury the pit in a small part of your garden

and most likely some will sprout in the Spring.

When the seedlings are about 2' or so tall,you can plant elsewhere during late winter.

There is a good chance that the trees will produce the original fruit albeit somewhat smaller,

or they may look entirely different.....

Their is also a chance that they may produce no fruit at all,...however it will take 3 years before you will see what they will thing is for sure,you will no doubt enjoy a lot of fruit for your labour.

Remember: Since apricots are self fertile you probably stand a 50-50 chance of the pip reproducing a fruit very similar in size color and flavor to the one it came from. It probably will not be exactly like the parent plant as seedlings normally vary to begin with (that's how cultivars get selected-by having varied traits which the grower perceives as superior to the original parent plant). There is a possibility however of getting a cultivar which varies from the original fruits characteristics since the fruit probably came from an orchard grown tree where there may have been more then 1 cultivar of apricot being grown.

I myself plant to try growing an apricot from a pip as I cannot find the cultivar I want for sale as a grafted tree. I know I probably wont get the cultivar this way but am hoping to at least get fruit similar to what I ate in taste and color.

The cultivar I wanted is often grown commercially so it is possible I will get what I want from the pip anyhow, but I read it can take between 7 & 15 years for trees to mature and produce fruit if grown from seed. Is that true? I hope not because it will be really hard to wait 7 let alone 15 years for fruit.

Apricots hanging on the tree.
Growing Apricots
Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJuly 26, 2007
Peaches Growing on a Tree with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Peaches
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Jar of preserved apricots.
Canning Apricots
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits