Natural Repellent for Squirrels

Squirrels are eating my tomatoes! I've tried every trick in the book, chicken wire to surround plants, doffee grounds, skunk plants, whirrley-birds, flags, streamers, fake snakes, fake owls, moth balls, Shake Away urine granules (and human, I was desperate), dog hair and human hair. I put grease and hot pepper on the fence and plants last year. The hot pepper on my plants killed the leaves and vines!

My dogs were indoor animals so I couldn't leave them outside all day. Tonight I tried another hot pepper receipt to spray (instead of shake) on tomatoes, but the spray bottle atomizer clogged up, so instead of wasting the mixture, I just shook it over parts of the plants and fence. Am I supposed to be using a commercial-type garden sprayer or just a kitchen-type sprayer?

A squirrel was even hanging upside-down eating sugar water out of my humming bird feeder. I don't want to kill them, but that was suggested and then hang the body by the tomatoes to ward off other squirrels.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Doody from Dayton, OH

I have a squirrel problems at my apartment they come on the ledge and try to come inside.

What is the best way to get rid of them and open my windows this spring?

mix cheap hot pepper sauce and veg. oil 50/50 and spray areas where you do not want squirrels or other animals and repeat weekly and after it rains. works on bird feeders-spray everything except where seed comes out even hanger.

July 16, 2010 Flag

There are a lot of squirrels near my house. They eat my flowers, tulips, and even open a hole to put a peanut or 2 in the flower pot. I need a good homemade repellent, but I do not want to harm the animal nor my garden. Thank you for your help.

By Luz from Canada

Natural Repellent for Squirrels

Chili powder or hot pepper sauce does keep them away, but you have to keep reapplying it which can be a nuisance. I've heard that they don't like digging in rough gravel, either, so you might consider that or some sort of hard mulch for your beds. They seem to like the softer dirt to dig in, which unfortunately is why our flower beds are so popular with the varmints. (05/17/2010)

By Tapestry Lady

Natural Repellent for Squirrels

I don't think any of the repellents will work. What I did was buy a Havaheart trap. Bait it with some seeds. When the squirrel is trapped I move it about 10 miles away and release it. (05/18/2010)

By foxrun41

May 17, 2010 Flag

I have a squirrel in my rain gutter. Is there any natural repellent which will work? The gutters had been squirrel proofed, but he persists. Please help. Thank you.

By brown dog from Hartford, CT

Natural Repellent for Squirrels

Repellents don't work very well. The repellent wears off or the squirrels just move to another area of the rain gutter. To control the critters in my area I bought a "Havahart" trap for about $30 at my hardware store. I bait it with seeds. When I catch a varmint I release it about 10 miles away. They will return if you release them to close to home. (07/24/2009)

By foxrun41

Natural Repellent for Squirrels

Hot pepper sauce will keep the critters away from anything you put it on, re-apply after a rain. I put some around our house. They don't come near any more, good luck. (07/25/2009)

By kffrmw88

Natural Repellent for Squirrels

Maybe these ideals can help. My mother-in-law would put moth balls in nylon netting and hang the bags at the top and bottom of the drain pipes. I use to have problems with birds destroying the siding on my house and nailed plastic snakes on the sides of the house. You may want to place a few snakes close to the drain pipes and see if that may help keep them away.
Hopes this helps.

By raknhorse

Brown squirrel eating
Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants
Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksJuly 16, 2010
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)