Where Can I Find Building Supplies Donations?

By Paris D Gannon 1

Where can I find donations of usable building materials and scrap? I take care of unwanted animals and find them homes and am in need of materials for houses and pens. Any usable scrap lumber, unused landscaping timbers or railroad ties, fencing scraps. Anything will be appreciated!

Paris from Coatesville

Showing: Answers Sort

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

Try freecycle in your area.... You might also drive around to construction sites and see if you can get some donations that way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marge Mayhew 3 149 Flag

I believe there is a Habitat for Humanity "Homestore" or "ReStore" in your city. They don't give things for free but they are extremely reasonable. The majority of their inventory is donated material. You'll be amazed at what you can buy and how cheap it is. The profits made from selling the donated items is used to buy material to build more "Habitat Homes". I think the organization is wonderful and I support it any way I can. Check them out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Go to your Lowe's store. Lumber that comes in damaged, wet or returned is usually stacked at the back of the store and is sold at 1/2 price....just be sure to ask before you go looking through it. Also, stop by a new home construction site. Ask the contractor if you can have the scraps they aren't using. We have also gotten scraps of lumber from the dumpster behind a cabinet shop. The main thing is to ASK FIRST.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,276 Flag

Two words - Forklift Pallets!

Two more? Straw bales!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Contact your local contractors. Explain what you are doing, why you need the supplies, and ask if they have any donations (leftovers, etc.) that they could give to you. Since you are helping out others and saving the animals, I bet they would be willing to help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Better Living CharityMay 21, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Large Outdoor Blue Goodwill Sign
Organizing Goodwill Donations
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Sending Donations to Troops
Sending Donations to Troops
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:38:13 AM on 10.0.0.50 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings