Alternative to Unity Candles

My nephew is having a 4th of July wedding. It will be outside and he wanted to know what to use instead of unity candles because the wind will blow them out. Any other ideas with the same concept?

By LisaKay from Stanford, KY

This isn't an alternative to unity candles, it is still unity candles: ... amp;gclid=CJKozt2XtZsCFRPyDAod-FX5QA

It is an interesting unity candle ensemble which is made for outdoor use. You can enlarge the picture for a better view. The description says it has lamp oil in it. Problem is it is pretty pricey. I have seen large glass tubes like the one in the picture at Hobby Lobby and I'm sure you can get all the parts there if you want to make one yourself.

My husband and I were married at a park in July about five years ago. We didn't use candles at all, instead we used sand. We each had a little vase of sand (his was brown and mine was purple). Instead of us lighting a candle together, we poured the sand simultaneously into a heart shaped container. It mixed in lines and looks really cool! This picture was taken with my cell phone so if you would like to get a better look just let me know and I will take a better picture and send to you! We bought all the stuff at Hobby Lobby for about $10!

I love Harrison 2009's idea!

You can use battery operated candles :-) Here's a link where they have some really nice taper candles on pages 2 & 3 for very reasonable prices. Also, on page three they have wax coated red ones which would be cool for a 4th of July wedding :-) ... tore/PPF/Category_ID/94/products.asp

Oh, but today is the 2nd :-o Call around to specialty party stores, Hallmarks, etc. Someone in your area must sell battery operated ones in your area. Walgreens down the street from me sells battery operated pillar and teas and someone must sell tapers :-)

Hope your nephew has a lovely wedding :-)

In keeping with the holiday I say use sparklers. After all the meaning is the same no matter what you use for the symbols.

The sparklers idea is good, but I'd have to vote for the tree. Good for the environment, and could be a lasting memorial to the union. There's a tree in our yard my hubby still calls "Emma Kate's tree," for the cousin for whom it was originally planted.

What about Chinese lanterns. You could give one to each of your guests and then send them off when it gets dark. A nice alternative to fireworks and a lot cheaper!

I think you can pick them up on ebay.

Unity Wedding Candles
Unity Wedding Ideas
Weddings TraditionsJuly 1, 2009
Saving Money on an HD Antenna
One side removed making the crib into a day bed for a toddler.
Alternative Uses for a Crib
Stick Deodorant
Alternative Uses for Stick Deodorants