Why You Should Eat A Complete Breakfast Every Day

contest winner icon

From when I was a child, I kept hearing the same words over and over, "Part of this complete breakfast". Now I'm an adult and have just recently truly paid attention to those words. I used to be one to skip breakfast altogether, but can't anymore as I'm now working out at the gym. I've got to thinking, "What IS a complete breakfast?"

I thought I would share what I have found to work for me, for someone who gets up and never has time to stay and eat, but goes to work. A complete breakfast should have three of the four food groups and about 300 calories (a bowl of fiber-rich cereal with milk and a banana is an example of a complete breakfast). Ideally, there should be protein and fibre in the breakfast. These slow sugar release from foods so that you feel fuller longer. Recommended daily intake (RDI) for fibre is 30 grams. So it's great to eat whole grain breads and fiber-rich cereals in the morning to meet this RDI. Another thing to look for in a complete breakfast is calcium (to keep up bone density/mass).

To get the benefits a breakfast offers, you don't have to eat as soon as you wake up. Just make sure you eat within two hours of getting up. As I personally am out the door right when I get up, I have my own grocery cupboard at work, consisting of (and matching 3 out of 4 food groups):

1. Nestle Carnation Instant Breakfast with 250mL 1% white milk. Good alternative: Nestle Carnation Breakfast Anytime!

2. 2 slices of 100% whole wheat bread (btw, I have noticed that the whole wheat bread toasts oh so much better than white).

3. Trans-fat free peanut butter (crunchy has less sodium than smooth).

4. Strawberry jam (ok ok, the sugar in these jams are quite high, but at least there is fruit in there. somewhere. right?)

Just to end here, keep this in mind, breakfast gives you the energy boost you need after an eight-hour stint without eating. It gives you brainpower and energy. Breakfast speeds up our metabolism, the rate at which we burn energy. Some argue that if they eat breakfast, they're hungry again a few hours later but if they skip that first meal of the day, they're not hungry until the afternoon. Not feeling hungry until late in the day is a bad sign. It means your metabolism is sluggish. If you eat breakfast and you're hungry a few hours later, good! It means you have a high metabolism. You should be hungry every 3-4 hours.

As for me, I can definitely vouch that I have more energy throughout the day just by eating the breakfast I mentioned above. I would recommend anyone who argues to at least test it out for a month. You WILL see a difference in your energy and your mood.

By Kevin from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good for you Kevin - you are absolutely correct! And for all of those people trying to lose weight, eating regularly absolutely boosts your metabolism. Ideally, we should all eat 5-6 small meals per day, but since this is not always practical, at least 3 per day is a good start. How do I know this? I am a Registered Dietitian (ie, a nutritionist with real credentials, starting with a 4-year college degree in nutrition).

UPDATE

what's REALLY interesting is that since i posted this, i've noticed that my ENTIRE diet has modified itself, despite what i would believe my body wants. just doing this has made my body request additional sustinence. with a regular breakfast as above, i now NEED lunch at 12:00p, my body now requests a picker-upper at about 3:00p (which i have begun eating Special K bars --- uber yummy!), regular supper around 6:00p (which i've notice i'm eating smaller portions), and a final bodily request for sustinence around 10:00p (which i am starting to habit with cereal --- Kellogg's Turboz -> uber healthy! ... at least according to the nutritional charts i compare in the cereal isle).

by this new unbeknownst diet that just evolved due to putting breakfast in my day, i've slowly noticed my fitness improve, my body more cut (i currently go to the gym as i have before, but i seem to look more "defined" now), my step a bit bouncier.

i can't help but restate the obvious fact.... EAT HEALTHY!!! strangely enough, it's not as expensive as you think. i know that cuz i'm STILL "stingy" with money.....

c'mon! take the 30-day challenge. if you do, PLEASE come back and reply on what you've found so i know i'm not just blowing it out my hole thinking it's all psychosomatic! lol...

Yes! Absolutely correct-breakfast in the morning does give all those benefits. Eating every 2-3 hours also means consistent mood and cravings throughout the day.

Thank you, Kevin! I fully intend to give this a try for your one-month recommendation! I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to do what you're talking about, in hopes of lowering blood sugar and such, just needed a little reminder and suggestions. This came at a great time for me. :^) We all get too busy to take care of ourselves, sometimes just a little push gets us on the path again.

I agree that breakfast IS very important to begin each day! I liken it in my mind to refueling the car so it runs better (or runs at all!) and gives your body the energy to metabolize all that energy and turn it into more muscle (hopefully!) as you go about your daily activities! Way to be healthy! :)

Quick Breakfast Ideas, Healthy muesli breakfast with milk
Quick Breakfast Ideas
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreakfastFebruary 16, 2007
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower, Tiffany's gift box.
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
🎉
🎄