Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

I am having heating problems with my '99 Dodge Dakota.

By Manuel from NJ

Maybe you need a new heater core.

December 16, 2010 Flag

My '98 Dodge Dakota's heater will not put out any heat. I have changed the thermostat twice, changed the water pump, changed the radiator, and run water through the heater core. The truck only gets up to 170 to 180 degrees. Is there a censor or fuse or something that I am missing? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Chuck from Winchester, VA

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

My DH said maybe the heater door isn't opening, or there could be an air bubble in the line. He said you may have to rev it to get air bubble out. He had to do this to his Bravada to get it working again. He also suggests going on to and ask people there, they are helpful with all kinds of things. He visits that site daily. (10/22/2008)

By jmz2005

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

Have you checked the blender under the dash? It may not be opening all the way or closing partially blocking heat disbursement. According to my source this is a somewhat common Dakota problem. (10/22/2008)

By mothermarytea

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

Check with your library. They may have access to an online auto repair database that you can use for free. I know of a lot of people who've done this will great success. (10/22/2008)

By Guest

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

I also have a Dakota, mine is an 87. Have you checked the fuse box? It could also be that the heater coil is bad. Check with the guys at you local parts store they will help you with it if you just ask. But do it when they are not really busy so they can spend time with you. (10/25/2008)

By Travis in OH

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

This is an extremely common problem in Dakotas. The heater core is plugged. A conventional radiator/engine flush treatment does nothing because it does not actually back flush the heater core. You can do it yourself quite easily. Disconnect both ends and make sure you "back flush" it with a garden hose. You'll like get a ton of globby crud out of it. Reconnect hoses, refill system, and enjoy the heat! (11/17/2008)

By Greg G.

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

Make sure you have plenty of coolant or antifreeze. (12/15/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

I experienced no heat in my wife's 1999 Dodge Dakota. What I did was reverse flush the heater core. I went to a car wash for water pressure, disconnected the top or exit hose from the heater core, disconnected the hose from the stem on the water pump and put the pressure hose from the car wash into the top of the heater core. I did this for about three minutes making sure clear water was coming from the water pump hose. Since then, heat! Try this before having the core replaced. Also, make sure enough antifreeze is in and you will be OK. (11/28/2010)

By docturj

Snow Covered Truck
Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceDecember 16, 2010
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
North Dakota Christmas Charities
Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger Heater Not Working
South Dakota Christmas Charities
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater