Removing Oil Pastels From Carpet - Categories:

CarpetCleaning

Removing Oil Pastels From Carpet

My 2 year old son decided to "decorate" my daughter's carpet with her oil pastel crayons. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting oil pastels out of carpet? It was difficult enough to get it off my son!

Stephanie from Oregon

Oil Pastels On Carpet
Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

If the oil is not dried on the carpet yet, try using Murphy's Oil Soap to remove the paint. That's what I used to clean my brushes with and a few drops of water with it to get it activated. You'll have to do use a lot of clean rags so you don't spread the paint around while working it free.

I think I would try some dish detergent, like Dawn as the oil crayons are sort of like a grease stain. There are a lot of products out there, maybe one that is designed for removing automotive grease, like Goop, or Greased Lightening. Good luck, what a cutie. He looks remorseful too!

My suggestion for the carpet is either mineral spirits, or you can buy the masters brush soap from the fine arts section of your local art supply store. It's in a small plastic tub, and it is is pricey! Mineral spirits is cheaper, but flammable. I'm pretty sure that the art store should have a natural version of turpinoid (essentially a paint thinner) in the oil paint section. Oil pastel on any hard surface is easily removable with a Magic Eraser. I'm kind of an expert on this topic considering that I'm an art teacher! Good Luck!

Well, they are really made from oil. You'd have some luck buying whatever removes oil based paints on artist's paint brushes (unfortunately it will be flammable!). Also, you'll have a hard time not smearing it. Pour it on, then leave it sit then blot, blot, blot. In small areas you can cut and patch without it showing. For details on how, drop me a note.

You might also try one of those "dry clean" sponges (Google "dry clean sponge"). Not to be confused with a Mister Clean sponge, though that might also work? But, I've never used one.

Also "GOOP" is made to remove grease & oil from mechanic's hands. It might also work?

I don't know about you guy's but water, grunt work and a 10 min time out worked well for me to get my pro art oil pastel stain out of my grandmothers white carpet.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetAugust 11, 2009
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 11:39:11 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 804 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.