Keeping a Cat from Scratching Wound

My cat Poppy has a large wound on her neck close to the top of her head. A collar would not help because of the position of the wound. She scratches the scab off almost as soon as it has healed and it keeps bleeding. She scratches so much that the fur has come out around the wound.

She is an indoor cat and we have another who is also indoor. I think Poppy may have been hurt by the other cat, but I'm not sure. I would like to know how we can stop her scratching so the wound can heal?

By Tara from Aberdeenshire

One of my dogs had a wound and because of its location, a collar wouldn't work, so I put socks on the feet of my dog and used hair scrunchies to keep them in place whenever the dog went outdoors for potty breaks or walk around. I don't know if small sized socks for children would work for your cat, but I don't know what you could use to keep them in place. I think your cat would still need to be watched, but it will keep the cat busy trying to remove the socks instead of scratching the wound. The wound is probably itching when its scabbed over. Have you thought of using Benadryl anti-itch cream around the area. Maybe that might help some.

I am concerned that your cat may have an infection. It would be a good idea to rule that out with a trip to the vet. An infected wound will cause the hair to fall out around it, especially if it is a scratch form another cat. It is unusual for a cat to keep scratching a simple healing wound. Wounds from another cat are almost guaranteed to get infected. If it is an infection you dont want it to spread. Your Vet can bandage it so she cant keep scratching it. Good Luck!

Hello,

It sounds like you cat has a bite wound. Please take her to the Veterinarian so your Dr. can prescribe antibiotics and give you an E-Collar. Bite wounds are very serious. This is an abscess that needs to be treated ASAP! God luck.

This young kitten was bitten by another cat. She ended up with 4 staples an e-coller. She only weighs 2 lbs so the collar is huge on her. I ended up wrapping it with gauze but she is still accessing part of it where she pulled out a staple. Is there something I can put on it to keep her from liking and pulling at it

We fashioned a kitty turtleneck out of an old tube sock with very loose elastic in the cuff. Cut off the sock toe just below the heel or farther down depending on the cat's size. Cut armholes in on either side of the heel. Pull sock down over the cat's head, get paws and legs through the armholes. Makes it harder to take off. Hope it works!

July 26, 2011 Flag

My cat had surgery on his neck and he scratched off his stitches. I took him back to the vet and they put in staples and gave me a collar to use. Three days later he scratched out his staples by getting under the collar, and no I couldn't make it tighter.

The position of the wound makes it impossible for the collar to work, because it to rubs the wound. So I called my vet again, and they had me take him to an emergency clinic. They wrapped it with soft cloth and pulled out the two staples he had left in. I got him home, and he's already scratching off this wrap and getting to the wound! Any ideas on something that would help or work?

By Julie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

There are new E-Collars that work better than the plastic ones. Ask your Vet if he/she can order you one. It completely covers the neck area so scratching will not affect the woud area. You can also look it up in most animal supply magazines or order it online... Good luck

Since your cat is probably scratching his neck with a back legs, trim the nails on the one foot and tape a finger of an old glove over the back paw so the result is that the nails cannot dig into his neck.

Wrap his paws up in little mittens, that way his nails will be covered, problem solved!

Buy some gauze cut them into little squares, place tape over with tape sticking out at both ends and then lay tape the other directions that it sticks out at all four side. Put your cats paw on the gauze and fold the (white tape) over from the sides first then the front....it works. And it's cheap :)

Tried all suggestions for my cat who has a big (2" long) wound on her neck, and she promptly takes everything off. We are trying putting tape on her paw and will see after an hour how it goes.

Hi, did you manage yo find a solution? I am in a similar situation with my cat. She came in with an open puncture wound on her throat/neck which looked clean, so I bathed it in saltwater. 2 days later it was looking really bad as she kept scratching it with her back foot! I swiftly took her to the vet & she came back with a large shaved area & an undressed 5cm wound with several dissolvable stitches! I told my vet she will scratch them out so she tried to dress them (badly) and ended up winding adhesive tape around her neck, which was was extremely stressful for her and we all got bit & scratched.. now at home she has scratched the tape up so her wound is exposed. I tried to remove the useless yape as it wasnt actually protecting the wound but annoying her and encouraging her yo scratch more. I can't as it is stuck to her fur though! I am extremely worried & dont know what to do 

November 18, 2010 Flag

I have an outdoor cat who has a huge wound on his head. Everyday it gets bigger and bigger. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make him stop scratching it? He's and outdoor cat, though so cones don't really work.

Daniel from Ponoka, AB, Canada

Answers:

Keeping a Cat from Scratching Wound

You need to figure out why he is scratching. You didn't say where the wound was on the head . If it is near or around the ear then look inside his ear. If you see a bunch of dark brown discharge he probably has an ear infection or ear mites. If you take care of the infection then he should quit scratching his head.

If he doesn't have an infection in his ear then there are a few other reasons to scratch at the head. None of those are usually easily treated (mange mites, ringworm, allergies, fleas). A vet visit would probably be best. They can check for ear mites, fleas, culture for ringworm, skin scrape for mites or try a steroid injection for allergies to begin with. The sooner he gets looked at the better, if the wound gets too big he is going to need antibiotics for the skin infection. (01/15/2008)

By junebug_000

Keeping a Cat from Scratching Wound

You need to keep him inside, with the cone on, until it's healed, you have not much choice in the matter. It should only take a week or two to heal up good enough that he can go back without scratching.

How I know? My outdoor/indoor cat got in a fight twice and I had to cone him and keep him inside as he was also scratching at his. It worked perfectly. (01/15/2008)

By schubunny

Keeping a Cat from Scratching Wound

Please take your fur baby to the veterinarian ASAP, it could be an abscess. If he is outside, he could be fighting or being bitten by another cat. It is now breeding season so you must keep him inside. Good luck (01/16/2008)

By Sherri

Keeping a Cat from Scratching Wound

Please take your cat to the vet for treatment. Wounds should never go untreated. He can probably get an antibiotic injection and perhaps follow up meds to be given and you wouldn't have to deal with a cone. Even the cone would be a short duration of time. This is a serious matter needing vet attention! (01/16/2008)

By Carla

A cat wearing a plastic dish.
Keeping a Cat from Scratching its Wound
Pets CatsNovember 18, 2010
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
A cat wearing a cone on its head.
Keeping a Cat From Licking a Wound
A cat outside scratching the door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Doors
🎉
🎄