Making Tinsel Balls

Does anyone remember throwing those cool "tinsel balls" on the Christmas tree as part of its decoration? I used to love those and you can't get those anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make them because I'd love to have them again. They're just round balls, and the tinsel sticks out all over them - I guess they look like koosh balls but made with tinsel. They are kind of hard to explain but if anyone knows what I'm talking about and how to make them, I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance!
Stacey from Orem, UT

I'm 42 and I remember tinsel but not the tinsel balls. But as to making them, could you make them like you would the yarn pompons? With those you take a piece of cardboard about the size of the ball you would want, loosely wrap the yarn (or tinsel in this case) around the cardboard several times. Carefully slide off the cardboard and take a piece of yarn/tinsel and tie around the middle. Then cut the ends and move the ends around in shape of a ball. I'm thinking you would really have to use alot of tinsel to get this to shape like a ball since the tinsel would be so flimsy. I'm curious about these now and may have to find some tinsel to try this project.

I'm sorry I don't know how, but I loved those things. All you had to do was give it a toss and it stuck. I wish I knew who made them. They were stiff, not like regular tinsel-and a whole lot of fun! If you ever find out anything,PLEASE post!

I have searched for a few years for these balls. My kids loved them. That was the funnest part of decorating the tree. I was happy to see someone else remembers them. I hope I can surprise them with a set. Even my son's fiance mentioned them the other day. She said my son had mentioned them to her. That would be so neat to find a set.

I sure remember them! I too, have been looking everywhere for them! Even checked out EBay, but nothing! My kids loved throwing them on the Christmas tree after it was totally decorated...wherever they landed is where they stayed

I don't know if what I remember is the same thing, but my Mama and I would take a large styrofoam ball, wrap old and broken tinsel around and around it, glueing the tinsel down here and there, and at the end. Then when we'd go to the big Christmas dinner at my Grandfather's, we kids would have one more toy to throw around and get stuck on his roof! lol I still make them once in a while, but I use them as porch Christmas decorations, or at Easter, I'll spray paint them pink, blue, or just about any color that's on sale, in stripes, then hang them on trees, the porch, bushes, and just about anything in the yard that isn't moving! But I only make them with my old tinsel that's been used sometimes up to five years or more. But you can find the cheap tinsel in 'dollar' stores, as well as 10" to 12" styrofoam balls or ornaments. I've seen the very large plastic ornaments in $ stores that could be used the same way. Now, some folks call the balls made with plastic drinking cups and tinsel, Tinsel balls. Is that what you're talking about?

These sound interesting, being 69, I don't remember anything like this, but I might have to try making one at some time. It could be that they were only in some parts of the country, and not where I live.

Crafts Christmas DecorationsDecember 2, 2005
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Making Splash Balls
Making Splash Balls
Floral ball made of artificial roses.
Making Styrofoam Floral Balls
Holiday Hazards for Pets
Holiday Hazards for Pets
🎄