Raised Beds With PVC Greenhouse Frame

Making it easier on the back with raised beds (20 ft. x 4 ft. 2 block high). PVC pipe looped over to put plastic on to get plants out early.

By George from Roanoke VA

Raised Beds With PVC Greenhouse Frame

I think I'd like to do something similar, so I have a few questions for you. Can I purchase curved PVC pipe or do I need to curve it myself (and how does one curve PVC pipe?)? How did you anchor the PVC pipe? Are those cinder blocks that you've used as retainers for the sides of the beds? Do you think that small annual flowers could be planted inside the small holes in the retaining wall? Thanks.

I understand the PVC curved supports. What I really want to see is how you tie down the plastic cover. Anytime, I work with plastic cover sheets, it is a misery to anchor in place. The over the curves is probably relatively easy, but the ends are another matter. I know of no practical method of anchoring the ends of the tunnel. Maybe you could enlighten me.

This is interesting how you made the framework. I thought of using sticky back velcro tabs that would probably fit and remain on both pvc pipes and plastic sheeting to hold in place and my husband thought of 2x4 boards layed against the walls to hold down the plastic.

We made a frame similar to this a few years ago, when we needed some temporary storage area. We made it tall enough to walk into, and used metal rods pounded into the ground to put the PVC on, and covered the area with a large blue tarp. It served the purpose well, sheltering our merchandise from the weather.

Harlean from Arkansas

Message for Durgan....You would have to dig a trench all around the outside of your bed and bury the ends of your tarp or polythene sheeting under soil. Another way is to roll the ends of the cover around a sturdy cane ( using as many as you need ) and peg the cane firmly along the ground with long skewer type metal rods with hooked ends which you find in a store selling camping gear, used as tent pegs.

Photos GardenApril 17, 2008
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
wood framed garden bed
Building Raised Beds
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Gardening in Raised Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds
🎉
🎄