Keep Your Feet Dry With Plastic Bags

When we were kids and wanted to play outside in the rain or snow, we didn't have boots. My mother would put plastic bags over our socks then put our shoes on then cover the plastic bags up with our pants. My mom used bread bags but I used recycled plastic grocery bags for my kids. These days I still cover my socks with plastic bags before I go out into the snow. It's one more useful thing you can do with those plastic bags that are just waiting to be reused!

By CDR

I use to do that on the farm in cold weather. It really works. Can also put them over your shoes to keep them dry. Saves money, good luck.

Not only snow, but heavy rain, too. Laugh if you want, but this is the greatest tip since keeping a dry pair of socks in the car. I have bread bags, lots of bread bags. When I get inside where I'm going I can just take the bags off and be SO glad I have dry socks. My car attracts puddles on the drivers' side. Thanks.

This brings back a fond memory of when I was in third grade Catholic school and my shoes had become drenched walking to school. My teacher, Sister Rosalind, went and got paper towels and plastic bread bags from the nuns quarters, had me take my shoes and socks off, wrapped my feet in towels, covered with the bags and placed my shoes and socks on the heat vent and by days end they were dry. She then proceeded to make me use those bags over my socks before putting on shoes to walk home ;-) I was embarrassed because I thought it looked silly but I had dry feet ;-)

I used to do this, too, but with those plastic newspaper sleeves. I was a carrier in the Northeast for six years, and whenever we'd get a pounding rain or a middle-of-the-night snowstorm, I'd throw the newspaper bags over my socks and put the running shoes on over that.

Not a pretty sight, but there weren't too many folks up and about at that hour of the morning anyhow :)

I have a similar use only a little reverse. I do a lot of gardening and especially in the early stages before my gardens get full and mulched, when I'm tilling, raking all the "fun" stuff all the "muddy" stuff, I track a lot. I mean a lot of mud in the house but it's frustrating to have to take off the heavy muddy shoes just to run back in to grab something or use the restroom. So I've made use of those grocery bags. I keep them right there at both doors I might happen to go in, front and back, and stick my muddy feet in and either tie with a string that I'll keep with them or if I forgot I use my scissors from my apron (that I practically live in during the gardening season) to cut the handles and tie lose enough so it's easy to undo when I go back out. That has helped so much with the mud in the house issue.

A recycled market bag made from plastic grocery bags.
Uses for Plastic Grocery Bags
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMarch 27, 2009
Causes of Dry Hands and Feet
Causes of Dry Hands and Feet
Dog's paw, showing pads.
Remedies for Your Pet's Dry Feet
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?
🎉
🎄