How to Tell When Oil is Ready for Frying

I came up with a fun way to remember the rules of checking for proper temperature of oil for frying battered foods, without a thermometer in a skillet or pot based on "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" ;-)

If the batter immediately turns golden and raises to the top then the oil is too hot. If you drop a teaspoon of batter into the oil and it sinks to the bottom right away then the oil is too cold. If the batter takes about 30 seconds to rise then the temperature of the oil is just right.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

How original and how cute. So easy to remember. I wish I'd thought of this Deeli. Great idea

Thanks for sharing.

Most times if you use a wooden spoon it is a much easier way to tell if oil is ready for frying. Dip the wood handle of the spoon to the bottom of pot, if little bubbles form around the handle the oil should be hot enough.

I am always open to new ideas, and this is a very good idea LisaE2 if you're using a deep amount of oil, but how do you tell if the oil is too hot and what if there isn't enough oil in the pan/skillet for the handle of the spoon to be touching the oil?

This is a great idea. I will have to pass it along to my daughter. You have my vote!

Deep Frying
Deep Frying Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsAugust 18, 2010
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Close up of food being fried in a deep fat fryer
Reusing Frying Oil
Home Deep Fryer with Fried chicken and chicken and sauces on table
Safe Oils for Deep Frying Foods
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey