Browsing: Riding Mower Keeps Shutting Off

Why Does My Riding Mower Keep Shutting Off?

I have a Poulan 15.5 38in riding mower. It will start and run for a few minutes and then shut off. Then it will not start until it cools down. I have cleaned the carburetor, replaced plug, and cleaned the air filter. The carburetor is overflowing with fuel.

I have taken the switch off of the fuel bowl and hooked it up to the harness and the plunger comes down when I turn the switch on, but when I turn it off it does not come up. Is that the problem?

By Denny from Greenville, SC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

The carburetor isn't suppose to be holding that much fluid. I asked my husband about this problem and he thinks something is screwed up with the carburetor, like the float that is suppose to regulate amount of fuel.

Best Answer

The coil is probally no good. When coil cools off, it will start again, then when it is hot again, it will shut off.

Silver and black riding lawn mower against mown grass background
Riding Mower Keeps Shutting Off
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 3, 2010
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 8:28:37 AM on 10.0.0.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.