Cleaning Stainless Steel Grill Grates

We have recently purchased a Charbroil Quantum infrared grill with stainless steel grill grates and underpans. We really, really love how the meats turn out.

We've used it only 4 times, for two people, but from the mess of it, you'd swear we grilled a side of beef! I want the grates to be as clean as when they were new. We've done the "leave it on high for 15 minutes" afterburn, soaked them in Dawn, used oven cleaner, and soaked them in washing soda and borax. Then, I just got out a medium steel wool and used Barkeepers' Friend (oxalic acid). The Barkeepers' did the trick, but if I have to use that much elbow grease, I've threatened that we're all going vegan!

Could someone out there please tell me how to get these parts clean?

Thank you!

By Jane

Answers

Try spraying the grill rack with Pam or another cooking oil before heating up the grill. Or dip a clean rag into cooking oil and wipe it on. Heat the grill for 10 mins. on high and you're good to go. When you're done cooking turn on the grill and heat it up on high for 10 more minutes. Then use your choice of cleaning tools to scrape off the left overs.

Remember - fire is a great purifier - while the grill might look icky it really is bacteria free because of the fire.

I had a friend who insisted on scrubbing the grill to the point of being "like new" she used this technique and was delighted because she said she could spray the grill with a garden hose and it was so easy to clean up.