Ink Stain on Laundered Clothing

When I was doing laundry I discovered that my husband left an ink pen in his pocket. I have a knit top that I tried using Spray and Wash, Shout, and Oxiclean on and have washed 4 times, but nothing has worked. Is there anything that might work after all of this?

By Mary Beth from OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Try oven cleaner it will get nearly everything out of anything. I've used it on my kids uniforms for a variety of stains and it works well. Just don't spray a whole lot of it.

Hairspray works best! Good luck.

I'd use hairspray. Spray it, rinse it with cold water, continue until it all comes out. I've had tremendously good luck with this in the past! I've even had it work on something that's been washed and dried.

Saved! A twice laundered dark tan uniform shirt with large blue pen ink stain. I tried oxyclean, WD-40, stain stick, dish soap, hair spray, nail polish remover, and Goo Gone. Nothing touched it. Shirt can't be used with stain, so last ditch effort I dipped a Q-tip in bleach and dabbed it on the stain.

In seconds, the stain faded to nothing! I quickly slathered it with soap and ran a ton of water over it to remove bleach. Shirt is good as new! I thought bleach would remove all color and leave a white spot but it didn't. Bleach wasn't as scary of an idea as I thought it would be!.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

April 19, 2011 Flag

I noticed after drying a pair of cotton pants that ink was all over them. After drying them can I ever get the ink out? And with what?

By Gracie from Neosho, MO

December 19, 2009 Flag

I have a sweatshirt that went through the wash with a pen. There are about 5 pen stains on the sweatshirt. How do I remove them?

By Nadine S. from Endicott, NY

Answers:

Ink Stain on Laundered Clothing

Hairspray will work, any kind. Spray it on ink stain then blot it off with a old cotton cloth or towel. Good luck. (10/18/2009)

By elaine1

Ink Stain on Laundered Clothing

You know, I used to use hairspray, but a couple of years ago it wasn't working, and I did some internet research. I found on the "Heloise" website (don't know if you're too young to remember Heloise) that rubbing alcohol works better on today's inks and fabrics. I have had good success with it. I put some on before washing, let it sit for a minute or so, then just throw it in with the other clothes. Check to see that the stain is entirely gone before putting in the dryer. Good luck. (10/19/2009)

By cindywaggoner

Ink Stain on Laundered Clothing

If you are still looking, there is a product called Goo Gone you can get from any Wal-Mart that works really well on any stain. Just found that out today. (10/20/2009)

By latrtatr

Ink Stain on Laundered Clothing

Goop is the most amazing spot remover ever. (10/22/2009)

By annelaundrie

October 17, 2009 Flag

I left a gel ink pen in the laundry and dried a stain on a green polo cotton shirt. I tried the Oxi Clean solution and the ink stain is still there. What should I try next. I love that shirt.

Chris W. from Savannah, GA

Answers:

Ink Stain On Laundered Clothing

I just tried the rubbing alcohol suggestion, and it worked perfectly. Try it, it works. Don't waste your money on expensive stain removal products like I almost did today. Good luck. (07/11/2007)

By By Amy

Ink Stain On Laundered Clothing

If your fabric isn't delicate use nail polish remover. Blot with a paper towel. I tried it on my son's camouflage denim shorts then soaked in Oxiclean. They are wearable again though you can still see a small dark spot where the most saturated ink spot was. (09/05/2007)

By Jennifer

Ink Stain On Laundered Clothing

I had an blue ink spot on a polyester dress shirt. I used a bar of white soap (Dial) the stain came out. It worked wonders. (02/09/2008)

By Jennifer

Ink Stain On Laundered Clothing

My husband left gel ink pens on his work uniform and then dried them with ink all over them. I tried hairspray, alcohol, OxiClean, nothing worked. Then I tried Goo Gone and put an old white towel underneath and I immediately began seeing it come out. (05/11/2008)

By Ashton T.

Ink Stain On Laundered Clothing

I just tried the hairspray combined with the bar of soap on a shirt with a ink stain from a year ago, got it out without a hassle, it was incredible. Please give it a go. (11/28/2008)

By Matt

Ink Stain On Laundered Clothing

My mom told my dad she's not going to try to get out any ink stains from his shirts anymore so now he brings them to me to do. Well, I can see now why my mom is through messing with it that's for sure. So far I have tried the following: powdered Tide, liquid Tide, Oxi powder, Oxi spray, Spray n Wash, Lift Off spray, WD40, hydrogen peroxide, 409, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, and hairspray. None got the stain completely out.

Depending on the stain the products would make the stain lighter to a degree, but nothing ever took the stain away completely. That is until today. I was looking in the cabinets for something new that I hadn't tried before and there it was. A gallon jug of distilled vinegar. I thought what the heck, I'll try it. I poured about a capful onto the stain and proceeded to scrub the stain with a toothbrush and you know what? I didn't have to even scrub that hard at all and the stain was completely gone.

Word to the wise: use distilled vinegar to get out ink stains. (02/23/2009)

By Gail

Ink Stain On Laundered Clothing

Gel ink is easily removed in clothing with"Spot Shot" Instant Carpet Stain Remover sold in an orange and blue can. I had tried everything and it came out instantly. It also works incredibly on carpet stains. It is inexpensive and one of the best finds I have ever used next to Awesome grease cleaner. (04/30/2009)

By mssharonanne

May 6, 2005 Flag

I need to know how to get out an ink stain from my pants. I want to use hairspray. I already washed them once. Can I still get stain out?

Removing Ink Stains from Clothing
Removing Ink Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsApril 19, 2011
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
A newspaper on a wood table.
Removing Newspaper Ink from Wood Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 11, 2016 at 11:07:43 PM on 10.0.0.59 in 314 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.