Book Pocket Ornaments

I am a library director and we no longer use book pockets, but I notice scrapbooking companies sell them and people use them for photos, mementos, etc. I have used this idea for a versatile, quick ornament that most any age group would enjoy. Possibilities are endless. Your family will pull out the items and look at them for years to come.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• one or two book pockets
  • copies of photos, copies of paper keepsakes, or copies of storybook images
  • buttons, rick rack, other notions
  • glitter, stickers, etc.
  • glue
  • scissors, hole punch
  • thin string for hanging

1. If you're using just one pocket, begin by selecting your image and cutting it out. Lay aside.
  2. Add whatever trims you want to you pocket. Red rick rack is nice, but get creative with this little canvas! Not too many heavy items, though.
  3. Punch a hole in the top and add string.
  4. Place your item in the pocket.
  5. At the library, I copied pages from vintage books, but little kids love doing photos of themselves. You could use ticket stubs, hospital bracelet from a newborn, whatever. I suggest using copies of things. Laminate them if you want.
  6. Ad

7. My pockets were adhesive-backed, so I put 2 together, attaching the string in between with tape. (I put the "big sister" on one side and the "little sister" on the other. You could put a photo from the event on one side and a ticket stub on the other.

As I said, these pockets are available with scrapbooking supplies, but if you ask your local librarian nicely, she or he may give you some!

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

You can get a pattern of the book pockets on the web. Just do a search and you will find it. So much easier than just buying outright or asking for them.

Homemade Christmas Ornaments
Homemade Christmas Ornaments
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsDecember 17, 2010
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
Glitter ornament.
Making a Gold Glitter Ball Ornament
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments