Black Russian Cake

This is a very moist and delicious cake. Although its beginning lies in a boxed cake mix, the finish is spectacular and memorable. The Kahlua liqueur gives it an exceptionally rich and unique flavor. Definitely for the adults, it is highly complemented when served with coffee drinks as an after-dinner treat.

• 1 box yellow cake mix with pudding. (I use Duncan Hines)
  • 1 large box instant chocolate pudding
  • 4 eggs
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup Mazola corn oil
  • 1/4 cup vodka
  • 1/4 cup coffee liqueur (I use Kahlua)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup Kahlua
  • 1 cup 10X confectioner's sugar (divided)

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, sift the cake mix, pudding mix, and granulated sugar. Stir in slightly beaten eggs, oil, vodka, 1/4 cup coffee liqueur, and water. Beat for 4 minutes. Pour batter into well greased and floured bundt cake pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool for about 5-6 minutes in pan, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. Turn cake right side up onto a pretty serving plate.

Make a glaze by combining the 1/4 cup coffee liqueur with 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar. Poke cake several times with a fork and cover with glaze. Allow to partially dry, then dust with the remaining 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar.

Servings: 10-12
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
30-40 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: I received this recipe from a friend (Shake 'em Up Charlie) who was a bartender back in the early 80's. We enjoyed it so much that I added it to my list of "Adult Party Fare", and have used it so many times now that the edges are frayed. I suppose it's been baked into every shape and size of cake that I can think of, but our favorite was always the Bundt Cake. It needs nothing more than a hot cup of well-brewed coffee to make it fit for a King.

By pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

I just love your recipes and look forward to reading all of your comments.

How lucky it would be to be your neighbor!

I think this is the most "grown-up" recipe I've ever seen. It sounds wonderful too. I don't have everything it takes to make this cake, but I'm going to get it maybe a little at the time, and I can promise you that we'll have this cake for Thanksgiving. I think I can wait that long.

Thank you for sharing it with us. I love your recipes too, and always enjoy the little personal notes you add. Almost every recipe has its own little story, and I think you should put them all in a book. I will buy the first copy.

MisMachado

This would definitely be my husband's first choice if he could have any cake he wanted.

Sounds easy enough so I'll certainly try it. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thumbs Up.

StarWarsCollector

I don't think this cake comes anywhere close to being on my diet, but if I had one right now, I'd eat my share of it anyway. It sounds just delicious.

Thank you Pookarina.

ww

I get the best recipes from Thrifty Fun, and this is just further proof. I can almost taste this cake just reading the recipe. We brought back Kahlua from Mexico when we visited there 3 years ago and have never opened it. Saving it for something special, and this is it.

Thank you for sharing.

Lee

Now, this is a dessert that would go over really well when I have to make dinner for my husband's boss and the office staff. Definitely for adults and I think they'd all appreciate that for a change.

Thank you for the recipe.

Songwriter

This sounds really good for the Holidays. I too can't wait for Thanksgiving. I am going to make a small one first and if I don't get too drunk it will be on the menu. You have the best recipes Pookarina.

suziq9

July 27, 2010 Flag

This is a very special cake. If you do not use "spirits" at all, just don't make it. There really isn't a good substitutes for the "spirits". If you are a chocoholic, beware. This cake is terribly habit-forming. Enjoy!

Ingredients

Cake

• 1 package dark-chocolate cake mix
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 (3-oz.) package instant chocolate pudding
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup strong coffee
  • 1/2 cup creme de cacao
  • 1/4 cup Kahlua

Topping

• 1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
  • 2 Tbsp. strong coffee
  • 2 Tbsp. Kahlua
  • 2 Tbsp. creme de cacao

Directions

Combine the cake mix, oil, pudding mix, eggs, coffee, creme de cacao, and kahlua in a large bowl. Beat for 4 minutes until quite smooth. Pour into a greased and lightly floured 10-inch tube pan until three-fourths full. (Save any remaining batter for cupcakes or to simply eat on the spot.) Bake 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Remove from the pan and invert onto a serving plate. Punch holes throughout the cake with a skewer or ice pick. Prepare the topping by combining the confectioner's sugar, coffee, kahlua, and creme de cacao. Mix well and spoon over the warm cake.

By Julia from Orlando, FL

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesJuly 27, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Russian Tea
Russian Tea Recipes
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
🎉
🎄