Grease on Leather Car Seat

How do I remove grease from leather car seats?

By Curtis from Lake Alfred, FL

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I would try putting some plain old cornstarch on the grease, brushing it in a bit, & letting it sit overnight. This might need to be repeated, but should help. Good luck.

June 1, 2010 Flag

Somehow or another our son got grease all over his clothing on a ferry. He sat in his new car with leather seats and now has grease all over the back of the seat. What is the best thing to remove the grease off the leather? Thank you.

Maureen Rotolo

Answers:

Grease on Leather Car Seat

This may sound silly or strange, but Clorox cleanup works great. My boyfriend works with grease all day, and has a truck with leather interior. I was cleaning the vehicle and the Clorox cleanup took all the grease off and made it look almost brand new. Depending on the color, try a small area first. We have a gray interior, and it did not harm the color at all. (12/03/2005)

Grease on Leather Car Seat

Hi there. I used to hang out with a bunch of guys in a car club. The guy's place where everyone seemed to congregate told me he actually used Dawn dish liquid to get grease out of the clothing, etc. I do have a container of that special goop for removing automotive grease, but I like Dawn better. Plus, Dawn has these cool scents out nowadays. My husband's hooked on the Apple scent.

I would first read the owner's manual to find out whether the leather used on the seats is washable or not--it should be, or a lot of other guys will be in the same boat as you. What kind of leather is it? Soft like suede leather they've been using on jackets ("bomber" jackets), or harder, shiny leather?

As when washing anything new, I would do a spot test in an inconspicuous area. If it looks or feels fine to you, then proceed. I would not place it in the washer machine unless the leather covering the seat comes off and has a tag with machine washing instructions. Even then, I would still pre-treat the stain by dabbing at it with a solution of Dawn and water.

THAT is the thrifty way to do it. The more expensive way is to buy those special cleaners at like Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and follow their instructions--make sure that they are ok for leather. Any method you use may result in a loss of color, of course.

Last course of action would be to either find some washable leather covers for your car that slip on over the old or choose a different seat cover.

Seriously, though, I cleaned my husband's SUV that has leather seats that were smooth and Armour All has these wipes you can use. I don't know whether there was grease on them other than dirty hands, but they looked nicer. Yes, I would have trusted a couple of drops of Dawn in a bucket of water to these leather seats, but they were hard, smooth leather.

Good luck! (12/03/2005)

By techyluanne1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Leather Car Seats
Cleaning Leather Car Seats
Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherJune 1, 2010
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Infant car seat.
Car Seat Safety
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:33:23 AM on 10.0.2.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.