Frozen Veggies Have Freezer Flavor

Is there any nifty way to remove the freezer flavor that sometimes gets into frozen veggies? Thanks!

Stephanie from Anchorage, Alaska

Everyone has told me that once as bag of veggies is freezer-burned that it's no good & you'll have to throw it out. This is usually not true! There IS one thing you can do with freezer burned veggies & that's make homemade veggie soup.

What you do is run warm water into the bag & let it sit until all the freezer burn & frozen water has melted. Now rinse the veggies off with fresh, clean water... (You can use a colander if you like but I just poke several holes in the bottom of the bag & run tap water through the bag) Then just put the veggies in your favorite type of soup stock & use a lot of flavoring & spices (like onion, garlic, soy sauce, & Italian seasoning) so you won't taste the freezer-burn.

* I'm a Vegetarian so I don't use a meat stock. When I have freezer-burned veggies I use a generic brand of V-8 juice as my "stock" then add the veggies along with onion & garlic (fresh OR powdered) & about a half teaspoon of crushed Italian seasoning, sometimes I'll add Spike (a seasoning) Soy Sauce or Worcestershire sauce & sometimes I'll also add several fake-beef or chicken bullion cubes or bullion powder to the V-8 stock.

If you add these, be sure to not add your salt until very last because the above all have salt in them & your soup could end up being way to salty! ... If you want more of a hearty meal (like minestrone) you can also add 1 or 2 cans of any type of beans. (I like kidney beans) you can add the juice from the can of bean's or not. Lastly add several cups of either stock or water. (I use water). Optional ingredients are rice or small noodles or leftover meat. If you put a little less liquid in this soup you can also serve it over rice for a tasty meal!

Another idea: You can even sprinkle some shredded cheese on the top or add a dollop of low-fat sour cream to the soup. (I add a tablespoon of plain nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream to my minestrone soup)

Here's what I do; I slit the bag about an inch from the top, across the bag for about 2-4 inches. Then I hang the bag over the faucet in the hole I cut, I run water (hot or cold) into the bag till it doesn't over flow. Then with a sharp knife I stab the bag, as many times as I want to. I do this near the bottom first and then more times farther up the bag, refilling the bag with water several times.

Of course you can put the veggies in a bowl, add water, swish around and drain in a colander, dirtying a bowl and colander.

After veggies have been drained you can taste the raw thawed veggies to check flavor. Also pick any discolored ones out. Or choose to throw them away.

I am guessing that burying the veggies in a flavorful sauce might disguise the freezer burn.

I sprinkle on lemon juice, maybe a teaspoon, to freshen the taste of a bag of frozen vegetables.

Bake at 325 degrees or less. Use something like pam spray. You might have to work with cakes and the like. Mary

If you rinse the frost crystals off first then cook they have a better flavor. Do not just heat them up! But cook like fresh veggies and season like regular food. Enjoy!

In the future, freeze all your veggies in freezer bags, but double them up... I am eating blueberries I froze 18 months and they taste great!

Jim in Jax

I always rinse my frozen vegetables in running tap water first and it removes that frozen taste.

I also rinse my canned goods first, especially beans,

Good Luck!

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJanuary 6, 2009
Turnips with greens.
Freezing Turnips or Parsnips
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Frozen Veggies
Thawing Frozen Veggies
🎄