Garage Door Not Opening Properly

My Genie garage door opener will not reverse direction with the push of the wall button. The button is good and the switches are good. The sequencer board is good.

From a cold start with the door down: With the first push the light comes on, but door will not move. No sound is heard. Second push: nothing as with the rest of the pushes.

After disengagement of the carriage and moving it off of the switch: First push: The door motor starts and the screw rotates in the direction of pushing the door down. Second push: stops the motor. Third push: The door motor starts and the screw rotates in the direction of pushing the door down. Yes "down" no reversal of the motor.

After replacing the sequencer board with one from an operational unit same results only it won't go down, but it will go up. Is there something in the motor that isn't reversing? Could there be an open wire between the board and the motor?

I swapped capacitors and there was no difference in either unit. Could the transformer cause this? I've checked continuity between all wires except inside the motor. They all check fine. The continuity checks the same for the part on both units' parts i.e., capacitor and transformer. The transformers are grounded. I'm at a loss.

By John

You might want to search Google to find a Genie forum, or any forum about repairs of this nature. Most of us around here are into living frugally, but not necessarily complicated repairs such as that which you describe. You obviously know quite a lot about this already, so you need to find people who know even more than you do. Some sort of DIY forum is more apt to yield answers for you, I would think. :)

April 25, 2010 Flag

Can someone help troubleshoot? Our Sears garage door opener has been going up by itself without anyone pushing the remote or wall buttons. Also, when we tried to open door one day it would go up part way and come right back down. I was finally able to get our car in the garage, but now am afraid I won't be able to get it out without the door coming down on the car.

Joan from Billings, MT

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

We sold our 3-bedroom home this past June and we had a Sears garage door opener. At times we had some similar problems. The garage door opener has an antenna that receives a signal when you press the remote control. You might have to make an adjustment by raising or lowering the antenna.

Give that a try before calling the repair service. (01/15/2009)

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

I just had to call service man as door only went down about a foot. The problem was it needed oil and greasing. It now works fine. Maybe this can help you. (01/16/2009)

By Doris G.

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

I had the exact same set of symptoms. It was a loose wire or short in the wall button. (01/16/2009)

By ChloeA

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

We have a Sears garage opener and from time to time it does exactly the same thing. Each time it has been that the little door sensor down by the floor. Someone keeps bumping it somehow which dislodges the tiny wires that go into it. All I do is tell that someone and "he" puts the wires back in. Also, ours has a cord that you pull up by the motor at the ceiling that allows you to open the door manually in case of emergency. You could always pull that cord which releases the auto mechanism and then just open by hand. Watch pinching your fingers though. Been there and done that. (01/17/2009)

By themuffster

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Check for cobwebs around the electric eyes. Check and see if the electrical plug is all the way in the outlet. I have had both of these things to happen and had to pay service call. (01/18/2009)

By beautiful1234

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Check the electric eyes on both sides of the door opening, at the bottom, and see if cobwebs or debris is covering over them. Also check the electrical plug and see if it is plugged all the way in or is working loose. Save that service call, that I had to pay for both of these issues. (01/18/2009)

By Beautiful1234

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Are there any new homes or neighbors in your area? Believe it or not my garage door opener would trigger my neighbors door if I pushed the button as I approached my driveway. We finally discovered that we had both used the same code, our zipcode, for our combination. Just a thought. (01/18/2009)

By snail

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

Those wheels and tracks need to be lubricated every three months. (03/03/2009)

By mountainbrd

January 15, 2009 Flag

Our garage door will only go about half way up then stop. We can use the button on the wall in the garage, but you have to stand there and hold it in rather than just push it and go. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can try to fix this? Thanks!

Klutzymama from Indiana

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

My garage door has a hand lever on the bar in the middle part of the door (top part). It might help (if you have this) to pull this lever down. It may clear the jam. I am not an expert at this, but mine did the same thing, and this worked. Good Luck. (09/25/2008)

By GrandmaFrances

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

The door probably is not tracking properly. See if it favors one side or the other when it stops. Sometimes it can be pried over to the center again and will operate okay for a while. Usually the spring adjustment can correct this. Try resetting the overload switch to a higher setting also. (09/26/2008)

By bobdog

Garage Door Not Opening Properly

The door appears not to be tracking correctly. One other place you may look is the pulleys. The center hole will become oval over time and the pulley is turning out of round which can cause the problem you describe. If that is the case, the pulleys should be replaced. You can buy pulleys at Home Depot or Lowe's if you want to do it yourself. Other than that, you may want to call in a garage door guy. They are listed in the yellow pages.

By Harry

Garage Door
Garage Door Not Opening Properly
Home and Garden Repair HomeApril 25, 2010
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Garage Door Remote Opener
Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working
Garage Door Opener
Reusing a Garage Door Opener
garage sale
Preparing for a Garage Sale