Confederate Jasmine Plant

Question

This summer I purchased a confederate jasmine plant and it has done wonderful... green with wonderful fragrant white flowers and has grown up the trellis winding around it every day.

My question is, do I leave this plant alone now that the cooler weather will be here or do I cut it down?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Regards,
Joesgirl

Answer

I'm not sure what zone you are in (I'm assuming 7B or higher), but in general, if your jasmine plant is well-established, no special treatment is required except for any trimming you need to do to keep it in bounds. You can fertilize it lightly next spring if leaf growth starts to look yellowish rather than the normal shiny light green. If you live in a cooler climate and your plant is in a pot, bring the jasmine plant indoors as cooler temps move in and place it in an area receiving bright light with nighttime temperatures of around 55°F.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers

I' ve had a Confederate Jasmine Plant for 8 years. I 've never done anything to it. It always comes back each year and grows much more. I planted 2 more in other locations this summer. Hope they do as well as my first Jasmine. Good luck!