Housebreaking A Husky Mix

We have a Husky/German Shephard mix. Annika is approx. 1 and a half. She came to live with us by way of my brother. He had a big back yard for her to run and play in and she was not used to a leash when we got her. My brother soon realized that he doesn't have time for a dog, so she has come to live with my husband and I.

We already have a beagle that we adopted from a local shelter and 2 cats. Our problem with Annika is that she potties in the house. She will do both in the house. Sometimes she pees on our bed. My brother had her kennel trained and when we are gone we have to put in a kennel, because she tears up things. She seems to poop in 2 main locations, but she pees in the middle of floor, doesn't matter which room she is in. Any advice?

Melissa from Pekin, Illinois

Yes take her out side all the time, in the morning as soon as you get up take her out. Sing praises to her every time she does her outside business and give her a small treat. When she does it in the house show her what she did and send her outside, Also invest in a harness to walk the dog she will not pull and remember she is still considered a child so try to train her as best as can be. Hope this helps.

Our "little one" Ralphie, had trouble with that sort of thing. We have a small area fenced in for the dogs (his 'older brother' Russell and he) just go to the door to let us know. Ralphie had trouble knowing what to do and would just potty whereever he was.

We watched him carefully every time he sniffed like he MIGHT need to go we put him out.. as soon as he went... we'd "good dogie" him all over the place.

It only took a couple weeks of this and now there's no trouble at all.

However...

You say she's peeing on your bed???

That could be a different issue. There could be some kind of rivalry he's having with one or both of you ... a dominance issue.

Try the potty training first... if the "bed wetting" keep up, try to see the pattern of when what happens she'll pee on the bed.

Best of Luck!

Stick her nose near it, tell her NO and give her one firm swat on the behind and take her outside. When she goes outside, praise her one time with good dog. Some people say that dogs can't remember what they have done. My experience has been that they do know and they do remember. It only takes a few times for them to realize that you are serious about going outside as their only option.

Why is this dog allowed up on your bed? Keep her off. She cannot feel that she can claim it in any way. Down Girl.

I would also recomend a choke chain to help control her. A well disciplined dog is a happy dog. Get the book from Cesar Milan known as the dog whisperer. He is fantastic. He is also on the national geographic channel if you can get it.

It's not so hard, and you have an intelligent dog. How much time do you spend outdoors with the dogs? That's important. Try to get her on a feeding schedule (same time every day). Be sure to notice when she goes potty and remember to take her out to the area of your yard where you want her to go potty. That will very soon become her "toilet." She will get used to going in that spot and your problem will be solved. In the meantime, if she goes potty in the house at night, confine her to a small area. When I had your problem with a dog, I called my vet for advice and he told me "They don't usually go to the bathroom where they sleep." So I confined her in my dauaghte's small bedroom overnight and that was the end of my problem. She needs a lot of exercise. She is a working breed. Long walks are good for the dogs and you. She can help your family to be healthy (and you won't need security with her). She sounds like a treasure. I would love to have her. P. S. I have a German Shep and a White Alaskan Husky.

Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 19, 2008
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Caesar (Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mix)
Siberian Husky - German Shepherd Mix Info and Photos
🎉
🎄