Using Your Coffee Maker Without Electricity

Due to extended electrical outages caused by the last two hurricanes, we have discovered a few tips for coping with no electricity. The first couple days we made do with instant coffee. We have a gas range, so could heat water in a kettle. Then I discovered a simple way to use my coffee maker even though there was no electricity.

Just prepare the coffee and filter in the usual way. Bring your kettle of water to a boil. Pour enough in your coffee filter basket to fill your filter, being careful not to overfill it or the coffee grounds will spill over the top. Set the filter and the pot in place. As the water runs through, just repeat this step until you have enough water to fill the pot. Pour the coffee into a thermos to keep it warm or reheat on the stove in a pan as needed.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

That is awesome. I would never have thought of that! Thanks for the great tip!

This is brilliant! I love my coffee and if we lost power, now I know how to make some. Thanks a lot!

I don't have a gas stove, but I have a butane burner I can put outside. I have my parents, (both deceased) old percolator. I go outside and use that and all theses great memories come back. Now if I could make it as good as my mother did.

I don't have a gas stove, but I have a butane burner I can put outside. I have my parents, (both deceased) old percolator. I go outside and use that and all these great memories come back. Now if I could make it as good as my mother did.

Awesome tip. Cathy from ma.

I made coffee for over a week like this after Katrina hit. (Our power was out for 8 days, and I live 175 miles inland from the coast!)

I don't have a gas stove, so I used my gas grill to heat the water.

It was truly a life-saver. I can do without a lot of comforts if necessary, but I MUST have my coffee!

I live in Oklahoma & we have power outages year round due to high straight winds, tornados, electric storms, & ice or snow storms. On our coffeemaker, the basket won't sit flat onto the top of the glass pot & you have to stand there & hold it the entire while. Otherwise, you can only add about 1/2 to 3/4 c. of water to the basket at a time before the basket starts to tip over & you have a dangerous &/or messy situation on your hands. My solution was simple. We are camping fanatics & I use our campfire percolator to make the most excellent coffee on top of my gas kitchen range when the electricity goes off. To reheat, I don't have to pour into a saucepan or anything--just turn the burner on under the campfire percolator. Of course, it usually doesn't last long enough to have to reheat it & I just make another pot.

I discovered this trick for myself a couple of years ago when my electric coffee maker just stopped working one day and I didn't want to throw it away since I don't use it that often anyway. Heated the water on the stove and it worked great.

Now that my Keurig coffee maker is broken, I simply use this method to make a coffee use a coffee filter place it over the cup and push some of the filter down into the cup to form a shallow cup in the top of your cup but not all the way down into your cup leave some space beneath the filter then place a little more than a level teaspoon of coffee or less depending on the strength you desire, I use the amount above and it is perfect taste like Starbucks coffee or a cup from your coffee maker, then I just allow it to steep as you would a teabag to the strength you want, I also fashion a teabag out of this filter, put your coffee into the filter and then just bunch up to resemble a teabag and tie with string or if you drink tea you can use the string from a teabag and tie around the top part of the filter to make a bag then place it in your cup to desired strength, then add your milk, cream, sugar or creamer to your cup stir and enjoy, it's very smooth and not bitter.

cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
Home and Garden Emergency Power OutageSeptember 25, 2008
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods
Using Reusable Kuerig Pods
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
🎄