Use A Frisbee As Inexpensive Hummingbird Shade

I frequent a hummingbird forum. On it, there is a photo of a feeder where someone used a Frisbee at the top of the feeder to shade it. It's a great idea and saves buying the expensive ones. Click on the address below then scroll down to see it. There are a couple pics.

We are visiting the dollar store tomorrow to get some. Also making one for my underprivileged neighbor. She's so excited! She gets a Clearwing Humming Bird moth in her garden each year but has yet to see a hummer, she's excited :) 439743/thread/1148427398/Humbrella+idea

Ariela from Jax Fl

Im answering my own post here. But since posting this my husband

made the top part to the Hummingbird feeder! We couldnt find a

frisbee at Walmart or the Dollar stores., so we purchased the

bottom plastic dishs that sit under plastic flower pots. In fact they were probably cheaper.. $1.29 each! You can get Hummingbird feeders with the shade already there.. They are called Hummbrellas and they are made my Hummzinger.. check Ebay for them. trust me they are expensive! (they are a different style)Anyway.. heres the pics. I tried to post 2 pics I dont know if I succeded.

What a great idea! I will have to tell my mom about it. Her and dad love the hummers. We have several that live here at/in/around our yard. We don't have a feeder up for them, but

do have plenty of peter pans in our yards to keep them busy and happy. Thanks for sharing the idea.

This is better than my least not as temporary. I have been using a Styrofoam picnic plate weighted down with a piece of wood. It isn't so much for the shade that I have added the plate on top. My feeders are hung in the open from a shepherd's hook, and with all the rain we have been having, my feeder sometimes gets fuller as time passes when it is raining instead of emptier. The rain enters the feeder through the feeding holes and dilutes the nectar.

Harlean from Arkansas

I love these ideas! Another suggestion would be to go to the aisles where they have the "summer" pitchers, glasses, dishes, etc and get some red plastic plates. I got a green one the other day for a different project for only 68¢. It's a hard plastic too and should work great.

A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesMay 1, 2008
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Hummingbird Nest
Identifying a Hummingbird Nest
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder
Shade Tree
Shade Tree Recommendations