What's Growing in the Compost Pile?

Can anybody tell me what kind of plant this is? It is growing in my compost. I compare it to a cuke and musk leaf. I don't think it is that, but the leaves are about 2 ft. across. What ever it is, it is very healthy. I also have morning glory growing in there.

By Joyce from Wisconsin

In the Compost Pile In the Compost Pile

Looks like a Marrow / Pumpkin / Squash plant - the seeds often survive composting - worth keeping!

It could be a gourd of some kind too.

WELL, THANK YOU!! I don't have a camera and have my entire PATIO covered in these plants, about 6 of them. Mine are full of huge yellow blooms and I believe they are WATERMELON because of the few fruit they are making about the size of a small apple right now, after about 2 months of growth, but HELP, IT'S THE PLANTS THAT ATE THE CITY, here. I didn't plant them, the birds must have, and i DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH MORE WE CAN HANDLE WITHOUT CLIMBING UP THE STALKS!

One has climbed a palm plant and reached the house ROOF TOP, for Heaven's sake. I truly hate to pull them up after they have survived 40 days and 40 nights of straight rain, a July 4th Caterpillar PARADE along my house eve, and MANY CHILDREN PLAYING ALL AROUND THEM. I MADE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING/HOPING THEY WERE SQUASH, AND PLACED LARGEST TOMATO CAGES WIDE-SIDE DOWN

OVER EACH ROBUST PLANT WHEN SMALL. Now I can't even SEE the cages! LOLOLOLOL. Those melons better be good, or we're eating fried BLOOMS! God bless you for this photo! : )

P.S. OOPS, I forgot that the birds ate the insides out of a large pumpkin last Fall out on the patio. I'll bet it's PUMPKIN, not watermelon. Along with the two dozen can of charity pumpkin I've been given, I'd better put my baker's hat on and get to searching the recipes for all the Pumpkin ideas.

Last night I discovered that I could make QUICK "Pumpkin 'Snow' COOKIES?CREAM Ice Cream" from our shaved ice machine ! Here's the 'from memory' recipe I used. It's yummy if you love pumpkin, love "snow ice cream" that tastes like Ice Milk from the dairy case a little bit, because of the melting "snow"...Have your bowls/large cups and spoons chilled as you start.

One can of evaporated milk

One can pumpkin

Three-quarters cup sugar, or substitute(I am out)

One-half Cup dry milk

one Teaspoon Vanilla Flavoring

one Teaspoon Almond flavoring

one-half Teaspoon Nutmeg

one-half teaspoon Cinnamon

twelve crushed "duples" cookies (vanilla/chocolate)

Mix all ingredients together, adding crushed cookies last.

Shave three cups solid ice and pour above mix over

ice in bowl/cup, adding more on top of mix and stir lightly. Serve quickly and ENJOY!!!

Ha ha! The same thing happened to me, too. I spread out my compost throughout my flower beds earlier this year, and now I have pumpkins growing everywhere! Hardy little boogers, they are... It works out well, though, because I tend to grow a bunch of them every year and give them to friends as gifts. They're great for carving, eating, or roasting the seeds. If you end up with more than you can handle, you can also set up a roadside stand and sell them in the fall. Or throw them in a lonely corner of the yard and wait for next year!

(sent in by email)

it looks like a squash plant.......

Angela

Try sweet potato. Kumera.

Kudzu

It's the "birdhouse gourd" plant.

Hobo62

Hi!

Are the leaf stems spiny? If not, then it is probably not pumpkin or squash. They don't look that way, but hard to tell from the pic. Hope this helps!

cucumbers!!!

It's hard to tell without seeing it, but my vote goes for pumpkin! Did you put any seeds in the compost? Beans and legumes will often grow in it too.

Photos GardenJuly 11, 2007
Compost bin full of vegetable waste from a kitchen.
Removing Odors From a Compost Bin
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
Keeping Pests Out of Your Compost Pile
Composting Indoors
Composting Indoors
Compost Pile
Starting a Compost Pile
🎄