Re-Use Take Out Containers

Whenever you get one of those clear acrylic, clam-shell type to-go food containers, especially the smaller ones, wash them out and save them. If you happen to be out for a meal and can't finish it all, you already have your container to take your leftovers home in and you won't need to ask the service staff at the restaurant for another foam container. I keep a few in a resealable bag in the car for convenience. I also toss in a few small resealable bags, too, for bread and other dry food items.

I like the clear containers better as they can be reused many times, are more durable, tend to stay closed, and you can see what is in them once they go in the fridge. I have yet to find a recycling outlet in my area that will take them. Of course, don't use them to reheat in.

By ladybanksia99 from Tucson, AZ

I do not like these clam containers. I think they are hard to carry, they come opened and spill. I fold a piece of heavy duty foil and put it in my purse. I tried asking the resturants for foil instead of the containers but most say they don't have any. Unless the food is juicy, the foil works great.

This is a good idea but please know that unless they are #2, #4, or #5 plastic they are not safe to reuse for food or beverages so please check their number first.

I re use containers from grocery stores, like salsa, deli salad containers, cottage cheese and other clean able containers. I use them for take home left overs for guests who come over for dinner.

carry out container
Reusing Takeout Containers
Better Living Green Living ReusingJuly 27, 2010
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers