Fruit Printing

This article shows you how to make fruit printed tea towels, but there are a lot of different crafts you make using this printing method. This is a simple craft and has such beautiful and elegant results. I was able to finish it within an hour. Most of that time was spent sewing. To cut down on time you could buy cheap tea towels and print on them.

• fruit (pears, apples, etc. Firm fruit works the best.)
  • fabric paints
  • paint brush
  • tea towel or fabric that you will sew into a tea towel

Preparing the fruit:

Note: If using a pear it is best that it is still firm otherwise it will be too mushy and juicy to print with.

Cut your fruit in half. I decided to slice about an inch of pear to make my stamp and then ate the rest. This probably goes without saying, but don't eat the fruit once you have applied paint to it.

Fruit Printing

With a paint brush, I painted a layer of paint on the pear. You can play around with the amount of paint you use. The more paint you use, the less detail you get.

Fruit Printing

Then I gently placed the paint side down on the fabric and pressed firmly enough for the paint to leave a mark on the fabric but softly enough not to destroy the pear.

Fruit Printing

Making Your Tea Towel

First, decide how big you will want your towel and be sure to add 1/2 to 3/4 for the hem. Fold and pin the edges in and then hem.

Fruit Printing

Fruit Printing

Pear printed tea towel.

About The Author: Stella recently graduated from college and enjoys contributing craft ideas to

What a great, simple idea. I have lots and lots of fabric paints and some pear trees in my back yard, but can't wait till they're ready (the trees are bare now) so it's time for a trip to the produce section of the supermarket. Hmmm, let's see - apples, pears, I wonder if a banana would work - peppers - now I'm getting hungry.

Very cute! Did you know, if you cut the bottom off a bunch of celery, you can use that piece in the same way? The image comes out looking like a rose!

I also like the way you only used a section of the fruit and ate the rest--very frugal and smart!

thanx for the information........found one to do apples for my friend in the states since she luvs I have a new craft to do

Oh that looks so pretty. I would have never guessed

how you made those, thank you for sharing and giving inspiration.

Heart Potato Stamp
Making Fruit and Vegetable Stamps and Prints
Photos CraftsMarch 1, 2006
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
A computer and printer.
Printing a Web Page
Trouble Printing Coupons
Printing Roses Using Celery Stalks
Printing Roses Using Celery Stalks