Spiced Sugar Cutout Cookies

Hi, everyone I have a question. Does anyone have a recipe for spiced cookie cutouts or know how to add spices to a sugar cookie cutout recipe. My sugar cutouts are nice and soft and I just want to add a little spice. I'm afraid if I add spices I will change the texture of the cookie. Please help.

Denise from Marion, NY

I use my favorite sugar cookie recipe and add spice to it and it works just fine. Also I delete one quater cup flour and add that amount of cocoa powder to make chocolate ones.You can make them just about any flavor by substituting another flavoring for the vanilla.

The spices would not have to be added to the dough itself in my opinion, but as KellyCajun says it should not make any difference to the texture of the dough unless the spices are coarsely ground. Why not make some spiced sugar and using small stencils, sprinkle it on top of still warm cookies. or if you are worried about it sticking, brush with water or egg white then sprinkle.

A ground spice you might use should not create any problem. It is not great in amount (1/4-1/2 tsp) as you don't want it powerful, just playful--making people wonder what it is.

For more firmness for roll out, add a little amount (1 tsp or less) of cream of tarter. This is what makes the cookies "starched" in texture.

Grandma J.

Hi, My favorite cutout recipe calls for nutmeg. The recipe has 5 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon nutmeg. You may have to adjust according to the size of the batch. I have also added orange zest to mine in place of the nutmeg.

Will you post your original recipe-I love sugar cookie cutouts and don't have a soft cooky recipe. I think adding some spice wouldn't hurt at all-How about trying some pumpkin pie spice mix!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies SugarOctober 29, 2007
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Hot Spiced Tea
Hot Spiced Tea Recipes
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄