Paperclip Bookmark

A paper clip works well as a bookmark, especially if you are carry books in a bag or backpack. The paperclip won't fall out the way a loose bookmark can.

THE COLORED ONES SHOW UP REALLY WELL

Bobby pins work very well, too.

I use sticky notes - post it's. They will leave a stain though if you leave them too long.

I used a paperclip on an expensive book and found that it left a mark on the page. Since then I use and old envelope or a card that I rec'd from one of my grandchildren. That way no destruction to the page.

I was brought up to treasure books; I would never use a paperclip or a thick (such as crocheted) bookmark in a book I cared anything about (including library books).

What I do is cut small pieces of printer paper (up to 1" by 3" or so) and keep a supply in my reading area. That's small enough to stay put, but big enough not to get lost. I print up coupons for the grocery store, and find the margins around the coupons are just the right size.

In addition, since my husband and I are often reading the same book, I color one end of each bookmark with pink highlighter, and the other end with blue, so we can tell which of us is where in the book. I used to use bits of colored paper, but they're in short supply; besides, this way, no matter how low we run on bookmarks, there's one for either of us! (And we do run out - they wear out, get left lying around, or even get left in books or magazines that we were "going to get back to"!)

I use the inserts in magazines, there are always some in every magazine. Thanks

If you frequent your local library, they probably have some inexpensive bookmarks for sale. You'll be alot easier on your books, and support your library as well!

As a librarian who has seen the damage that bobby pins and paper clips can do to books, all I can say is AAGHH! Metal fasteners of these sort are particularly bad at damaging to books by tearing and making holes in the paper when you go to remove them. Do yourself (and the owner of the book) a favor by just using a spare piece of paper, an index card, a bookmark from the library, or maybe a piece of junk mail. Using a paper clip may be "frugal" in the short term, but it likely results in need to repair the book later.

I think your original post was that paper clips don't fall out - right? Seems that's been overlooked. I like the idea of post-its. This is what I use and 1 will stay sticky for a long time.

I agree that paperclips damage books.

I use post-it flags or small post its. They will last for as long as it takes for me to read a book.

I love the magnetic bookmarks you can find near the checkout at Barnes & Noble. They stay put w/o damaging the book. I have used the free bookmarks from my library, yarn, postcards, nail files - whatever is handy. I hate to turn over the corners. lol.

I also like to use the front of cards that I've received as well. =)

I used to use "decorative" paperclips as bookmarks on my textbooks until I noticed how it seemed to leave a permanent indentation on the paper. I now use post-its for my textbooks & single scraps of paper for my recreational books.

Colorful Adhesive Bookmarks
Bookmark Ideas
Organizing BooksJune 7, 2006
Valentine's Day Bookmark
Valentine's Day Bookmark Ideas
A whimsical cow bookmark in black and white and pink with a rustic bow..
Bookmark Craft Ideas
Keeping Bookmarks Handy
Keeping Bookmarks Handy
Crocheted Bookmark
Crocheted Bookmark Ideas
🎉
🎄