Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Killing Mosquito Larvae in Rain Barrel

2EmailPrintFollowSave

I am catching rainwater. To kill mosquito larvae, how much Clorox per 55 gallon barrel should I be adding? Thanks. CWE

By lonrgr from Corsica, PA

Best AnswersAnswer this Question

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By PHILLIP WOLF 1 34 06/26/2009 Flag

I've always heard that churning the water drowns the larvae. This would be better than using chemicals. try churning the water for a minute every day. Also try covering the top with a board during dry weather. This will keep any bugs inside.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Shauna 4 25 06/26/2009 Flag

To keep them from going back in, make sure to cover with screening, the water can get in but momma mosquito can not. We change the water in our birdbath daily to prevent mosquito colonies.

Churning the water sounds like it would work because mosquitos only lay their larvae in standing water. You could skim them off too and squish them (gross but gets the job done).

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mrsluckydog 3 07/04/2010 Flag

A friend of mine and I have been using goldfish for the past few months. They totally take care of any skeeters, and the fish seem happy and healthy. We also feed them regular fish food. It's kind of fun going out in the morning with a cup of coffee and feeding the fish. :) I have a 29 gallon aquarium to move them into this winter with hopes of reusing them in the barrels next summer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Diane 1 8 06/26/2009 Flag

I just toss in a third or half bar of soap (depending on the size of barrel) and have no problems.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Babette 36 233 06/26/2009 Flag

Please do not put chlorine in your perfect Rainwater, go to the pet store and buy a couple goldfish a little container of fish food generally goldfish don't live very long but I had my last 3 years until the raccoons got them, when the rainy season starts just keep them in a fishbowl until you can put them back out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By christine M. Thayer 2 232 06/26/2009 Flag

The person who said about the goldfish, is a good idea. Buy try buying feeder guppies or feeder goldfish. You get 12-15 for $1.00 & they'll last long enough to eat the mosquitoes. Some might even live long enough to become pets.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jane 2 03/22/2010 Flag

A rain barrel isn't a backyard pond. Putting any type of fish into a dark rain barrel is just plain cruel. Why not put a dollar's worth of window screening across the top, and buy another dollar's worth of bungee cords (from the Dollar store, of course) to hold it on. Problem solved, permanently, and nothing has to suffer and slowly die down there.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes