Using a Sugar Substitute for Canning

I would like to know if a sugar substitute (like Splenda) could be used for canning recipes that ask for sugar?

By Denise941 from FL

Best Answer

Frankly I am not sure if can be used on all foods that would normally have sugar. It might depend on your use for the food later on. What I do know is I learned long time ago to put sugar/sweetener in any tomatoes I canned. I even use sweetener in items that need spaghetti sauce, etc. I don't see why you couldn't put it in jars of fruit. If you were going to use the fruit for pies later on, you might have to add a thickener of some kind at that time.

I have a friend who is diabetic and she makes freezer jam using half sugar and half Splenda. It turns out just fine. I'll try it this summer when I make my blackberry and strawberry jams.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

canning preserves
Substitution for Sugar When Canning
Food and Recipes CanningApril 8, 2010
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎄
🍂