Product FinderConsumer Advice

Where to Find Ballard's Corn Meal

Just wondering if anyone in this wonderful group has ever heard of Ballards CornMeal? I can remember my mom using this brand of cornmeal when I was young. My dad is now 71 and wants me to make him some of this cornbread. I can't find it where I live. If you have seen this at your local grocery store, will you please let me know? I may be able to call the store direct and order him some. I will thank you in advance for your trouble. My dad is ill, this is why I would love to be able to do this for him before he passes on.

Angela H. from Hickory N.C.

From what I have learned googling:

It went through a few different ownerships but the cornbread mix is currently made by Martha White (the WHITE, not yellow cornbread mix). The little white banner on the left side, middle says: Ballard on it.

http://www.mart  2&prodID=657

Check here for where to find in your area:

http://www.mart  here_to_buy.aspx

(It looks like it is available at

Harris Teeter, Lowe's and Food Lion

in your area but be sure to check with your zip code.)

If you can't find it in your area you can order through their online store at the same link as above.

They even feature a Ballard recipe on the white cornbread box:

Ballard Classic Cornbread Stuffing:

http://www.mart  px?recipeID=3918

That is so sweet of you to do that for your Dad. If they sold it my area I would mail you a box. Good luck to you.

The Martha White recipe just isn't the same. Ballard's was the only corn meal we used, they've changed the recipe. :(

Anonymous

And they don't make it in the yellow corn meal either. :-(

Absolutely true !I am in the process of making the last batch today,,so sad it is not made anymore.

Anonymous

Thank you for contacting The J.M. Smucker Company regarding Martha White® Ballard White Cornbread Mix. We appreciate your interest in our Company and products.

Unfortunately, there was not enough support for the product at the time. Therefore, it was discontinued.

We regret any inconvenience this discontinuation has caused and hope that you may find an acceptable alternative among our other products. Please, visit us at www.marthawhite.com for more information on other Martha White® products.

Thank you again for your interest. We are pleased you have enjoyed our products in the past and hope you will continue to be one of our many loyal consumers for years to come.

We also used Ballard for years and were disappointed when we couldn't get it. What you are looking for is the old fashioned stone ground cornmeal. This is what we use now - House Autry Yellow Plain Cornmeal sold by Food Lion or Harris Teeter. It comes in a 2lb bag and the pkg is gold with red lettering. We make it in an iron skillet and it is as good as Ballard. Heat the skillet in the oven first then pour in the batter and bake. Just like my southern Missouri mom used to make!

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip on the cornbread mix to bad ballad is not made any more.